DSI Top
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making more room

Making more room

Have a 79 sleek and wanting more room. I have a closed bow with no access hatch. I drilled a 3/4" hole in the firewall under the front dash to see what was in there. Its full of that foam floatation stuff, the kind that's isn't easy to get out. I have been thinking about cutting a hole in it to install a hatch and tare out the foam. It would give me a crap load of room for life jackets and stuff. Has anyone ever tore this stuff out, Im not to worried about her sinking cause theres not much in there to stop it from sinking and since my floor doesn't have the stringers showing Im guessing I have floatation foam under the floor.

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Re: Making more room

There was already an access hole cut into my Sleek when I got it, and the floor had the foam sprayed in there about 8 to 10 in. thick. I don't know how many generations of cats had lived in there but there was still a last generation of dead kittens. Man, it stunk! Getting the foam out isn't a fun chore but its doable. In fact it was probably the worst chore I did on the whole resto.
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

Mine doesn't have any, foam or kittens, you could sleep under there.
    Last edited by T8er S.; 09-30-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: SleepCraft

Ya dead cats in there had to suck, wow bet that was fun. Im going to order a 30" wide by 14" tall hatch that I want to install for my access. I took that stuff out of my extreme shallow jetcraft river boat and it wasn't fun, my son and me had it all over the place by the time we were done. From the what I can see there will be lots of room for life jackets and stuff once done.

My Eliminator (it was a 21') had an access hole cut in the bulkhead. It was really nice as you could store a lot of stuff up in the bow. There was no floatation in the bow at all.
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

what did you guys use to get that foam out. I have a hatch already in the front bulkhead but it has been filled in with spray foam about 3ft deep into the bow. I would love to get that out for more storage.

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Quote Originally Posted by 78hallett View Post
    what did you guys use to get that foam out. I have a hatch already in the front bulkhead but it has been filled in with spray foam about 3ft deep into the bow. I would love to get that out for more storage.
    HHHMMMM...well there was a sawzall, jig saw, grinder with .045 cut blade, hacksaw blade with duct tape handle, a hammer and wide head chisel, I think I used the claw end of a claw hammer a couple of times, etc, etc...
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

well crap I was hoping for a, "I found this great tool to take this stuff out with that makes it easy" type of post, I should of known better.

9. The following user Likes 78hallett's post:

Here you go then.

****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

11. The following 3 users Like wolfie's post:

Just call me "Infidel" Site Admin David's Avatar

My nephew used to use an electric meat carver for foam...
    Nationwide Insurance Agent www.DavidSantanaInsurance.com Office: 916-429-4741
    Fax: 916-467-4499 Cell: 916-517-9325 Email: santad2@nationwide.com

13. The following user Likes David's post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information