DSI Top
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 1980 Miller rebuild. Lots of pics.

1980 Miller rebuild. Lots of pics.

thought i better post up so pics of what I've been doing with 1980 miller that i bought about a year ago. last summer i ended up melting a piston in the 396 bbc problem motor that was in the boat(long story) and figured id better just spend the winter completely tearing the boat apart and fixing it up how i want it. i bought a 454 bbc from tahoemedic who is having his engine builder rebuild the motor for me and I hope to have the motor back soon. I'm almost done with the rest of the boat and my goal is to get the boat back on the water by mid to late june.
    so lets start at the beginning of my tear down. the glasswork holding in the fuel tanks were cracked and delaminated from the tanks so all of it needed to be cut out and tanks removed, and the first bulkhead under the deck had some delaminated glass as well that needed to be cut out and repaired.

spent the next full weekend sanding and buffing the entire inside of the hull of leftover carpet residue and chunks. used a 80 grit flapper disk and a cup style non braided wire wheel.

Re: 1980 Miller rebuild. Lots of pics.

cut all the bad glass out on the bulkhead and started plugging about 80 holes that were drilled in the subfloor and stringers. thankfully there was no dry rot.

after a long chat with the people at tap plastics i decided to use there marine epoxy resin and 8oz woven fiberglass cloth to do my repairs and give the whole inside a quick hot coat of resin after all the buffing and sanding i did. i had to use some epoxy paste to fill in the divits in the stringers after i plugged the motor mount holes due to the previous owner over tightening the bolts.

found so cracked epoxy on the pump due to the previous idiot owners who when they installed the old 396, the had an oil pan that didn't fit and the motor was resting on the set bolt for the intake housing causing minor stress cracks in the epoxy and the bottom side of the epoxy to crack and break off. ground out all the bad epoxy and re epoxied what needed to be fixed.

i did sand the bottom side down when it dried but i don't have any pics of it

after putting new sending unit gaskets in and having my brother in law 78hallet solder up my fuel pickup tubes i was able to get my fuel tanks back in

after i glassed the tanks back in i yanked and pulled as hard as could to make sure that wouldn't move and they are in there solid now.

i wrapped the tanks in that heat shield mat to help keep the tanks cooler from heat from the exhaust and sun beating on them.

7. The following 2 users Like harleynut's post:

plugged the wholes in the back from the exhaust. finally got my carpet in last week so i started from scratch cutting new pieces and though it came out ok

got my new custom auto meeter marine gauges.

9. The following 3 users Like harleynut's post:

I just started to wire it up under the deck tonight and should have done i a day or two. i have to order a new stereo head unit that fits the other empty round hole on the dash but i need to wait until my front seats get back from the upholstery shop and i have my motor back from the shop.

11. The following user Likes harleynut's post:

Lookin good!!!! I cant wait to see it on the water!!! Iam actually thinking about playin hooky for a day next week and going to the lake, weather is supposed to be awesome!!!

Good look'n craftsmanship. I like to carpet lay down job you did....

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information