DSI Top
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daycruiser Performance Upgrade Ideas

Re: Daycruiser Performance Upgrade Ideas

welcome, and nice float!!! Good resources and info here..I am building a similar engine with a few mods also, and hope to see mid 50's also....If I were you while your in there, I would go through the bottom end just to be sure, it would be money well spent , I assure you. Good Luck!
    speed cost...how fast do you want to go????

2. The following 2 users Like dragracerdave's post:

Thanks for the input folks, this is an active group! Though by putting more money in the boat, I'm at the point of no return (will never sell for what I have in it after planned work), I like the boat, it is about the perfect size and is. It is a 1978 Tarva full stringer construction boat, all original. Bought is off Craigslist advertised as "boat for sale" for $3,700. The first time I took it out, the points were not properly adjusted and it nearly left me stranded (business card gap fixed this), then back at the ramp the ignition switch stuck on and fried the coil. Vac secondaries wouldn't open and boat barely ran over 3600 rpm. Replaced ignition and fuel system, huge difference.

Looks like i'll start with the diverter and go from there. Engine runs fine, but I know there is more lurking in there with a few simple upgrades (timing chain to advance cam, intake), and even more by porting or replacing the heads. After I had my exhaust manifolds off, I realize why the heads could use porting on the exhaust side. I'll post my reviews on the items I replace, upgrade as I go along.

4. The following 3 users Like boatf4fun's post:

Quote Originally Posted by boatf4fun View Post
    Thanks for the input folks, this is an active group! Though by putting more money in the boat, I'm at the point of no return (will never sell for what I have in it after planned work),
    LMAO, You and the other 999 other members on here will probably never see the the money out we put in, not counting the countless hours of labor. I can't speak for the membership, but like in my other hobby, we do it for the love and passion we have for these old tubs. As long as your are having fun and enjoying the water, I would call it a wash. I know place diverters are cool and all, but that 1,000 would go a long way in making sure you can make it back to the ramp. Personally, I would scrap the points and put in a electronic set up, my is a Petronix, and never worry about it again. any who, we all have our ideas and all love these old boats, so go for it the way you see fit and enjoy, but I do not even think about return on investment, or I would just shoot myself....Have fun with your project, I know I do with mine...
    Last edited by David; 11-15-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: fixed quote

6. The following 2 users Like dragracerdave's post:

Fixing up Vintage Jet Boats, is passion thing. If your passionate about being out on the water in a jet boat. Enjoy! I don't think I know of anyone, that's bought a fixer upper and sold it for a profit. I always think of this statement, made to me at Shasta Lake, after tying up to the courtesy dock at one of the Marinas. 2 Very Good looking ladies, were walking down the dock, and one says to the other "Oh Yes! that's a Sexy Seventies Jet Boat Right There! Those are some of the funnest boats, ever made"
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

8. The following 2 users Like 78_Tahiti's post:

Another vote for a Place diverter. It will be the biggest bang for the buck IMO. I think dragracerdave might have missed where you already ditched the points in favor of a Pertronix conversion. Might keep your eyes open for a used diverter. I see them for sale somewhat frequently on some of the other boards. Mo pics, Mo pics, Mo pics!!!!
    89 21' Eliminator Daytona - 454 BBC / 76 SleekCraft Ambassador - 455 Olds / 74 SleekCraft Rebel - Pontiac 400

10. The following 4 users Like Last Mohican's post:

Yeah, I missed where he changed out the ignition, and I am all for place diverters also, just it will be my last purchase,,,my point was if he had the intake, cam and heads off for the other mods, I would most certainly do the bottom end, just to inspect bearings, crank, etc, while I had everything exposed...my motor ran great to, but it had a cracked block, oil pickup full of silicone, and worn rods bearings due to oil starvation, which would suck to have to go back into it when you where right there, that's all..good luck on the upgrades...and have fun!!!

12. The following user Likes dragracerdave's post:

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hello and welcome to VJB... I think you should be able to get 55mph out of her easily...

My CV23 does 55 @ 4100 rpm with an "E" pump, A Impy and a Place Diverter... I've also had my stock Glastron-Carlson ride plate lengthened and widened by Bill Morgan @ Southwind Hot Boats in Rancho Cordova. He also rebuilt my "E" pump last year.
    Mallory dizzy with a stock coil, 850 DP

Other than that she's pretty much a stock
    You're pulling 55 at 4100? GPS or speedo? My pump must be really worn, she was only pulling 48-ish at 4100 (speedo). Wonder how she'll do with a fresh pump & nearly 500hp next season?
    '78 Glastron/Carlson CV23 - 429/Berkeley; '64 Ford Falcon 'vert; '04 Saab 95 Aero
    Bradley GTE Electric; '99 Tahoe, 2000 Big Dog Bulldog

14. The following 2 users Like 429CV23's post:

Just call me "Infidel" Site Admin David's Avatar
    On iPhone GPS and pito tube speedo. Ya I wanna know how she's gonna run with that hp too.

Posted while on the run using iPhone app.
    Nationwide Insurance Agent www.DavidSantanaInsurance.com Office: 916-429-4741
    Fax: 916-467-4499 Cell: 916-517-9325 Email: santad2@nationwide.com

16. The following user Likes David's post:

Well, my upgrades are complete, hydraulic Place Diverter, new Cloyes double roller (68-71 timing chain set, Weaind 8012 intake. My engine was cutting out under a load prior to the timing chain replacement, attributed to a faulty ballast resistor, so I change to a coil with built in resistor. top speed prior to mods, 48 mph gps.....top speed after.....48-49 (around 4200 with a+ Aggressor). My unbiased review of my modifications: Place Diverter - as the website says, total control of the bow. No speed increase. Shines in rougher water. The old setup was not actually that bad. Timing chain set replacement ... The best bang for the buck (around $60 plus gaskets and my time). Old chain stretched about 5/8 inch, retarded 8 crank degrees. New chain set at +4 crank degrees (or +2 cam degrees). Cam ICL 107 degrees. Cold cranking compression on No. 1 cyl. went from 123 to 150 psi. Starts easier, runs cleaner and much cooler. No more soot on the transom. Weiand Stealth dual plane.... only benefit I see is a substantial weight savings. Made exhaust crossover block offs from sheet metal. Had to build a new air box on dog house due to increased height. I summary, good experience, but I'm not going to do much more until I hear a loud "RAP" come from the engine! My next modification will be some inline 3" silencers...if it's not going to be fast, it might as well be quiet! On another note, there was a guy at the lake tuning a Hallett 21 ft v-drive mini cruiser, 460 with twin turbos, looks like he dumped tons of money into this. Says he has been tuning this for a while is getting 60 mph from it. I don't feel so bad now!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0225.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	13334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0224.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	13335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0227.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	13336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0339.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	13337
    Last edited by boatf4fun; 01-05-2014 at 09:07 PM.

18. The following user Likes boatf4fun's post:

I bet you gained a couple of other things, that are kind of tough to see, when their in front of you. An engine your not ashamed to show, anyone who asks, driving a nice riding cruiser, that will prolly be installing smiles, on anyone that has the opportunity to ride in it, or towed behind it. I also bet, that feeling you'll get, when you stop on the water, and ask "Do you guys need a tow back to the ramp" will make you feel "Priceless" The engine compartment looks great!
    Last edited by 78_Tahiti; 01-05-2014 at 11:31 PM. Reason: cruisers Rock!
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information