DSI Top
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

  1. #21

    Re: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by JetNeck View Post
    The boat has a Ford 460/Berkeley JG Pump. I do not believe it has ever been rebuilt. Somewhere along the line an Edelbrock 650cfm carb was added. I have a feeling the throttle cable may be stretched, not allowing us to get to WOT. Also planning to check the ignition timing next time we are out. Jet pump may also need some work. The goal is 60mph.
    Take a compression check. If that's all good, your next deal would be to change out that carb. 650 is too small for a BBF. Checking the range of your throttle is an easy thing to check.
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

  2. #22

    Re: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Take a compression check. If that's all good, your next deal would be to change out that carb. 650 is too small for a BBF. Checking the range of your throttle is an easy thing to check.
    Compression check was 120 on all but one cylinder. Carb and ignition timing are next on our list
    Last edited by JetNeck; 09-25-2013 at 11:56 PM.

  3. #23

    Re: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by JetNeck View Post
    Compression check was 120 on all but on cylinder. Carb and ignition timing are next on our list
    If you still have the stock intake, I'd find a nice Edelbrock Air-Gap manifold and a nice Holley 750 carb. Check your linkage for full throttle. How far off was the one cylinder.
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

  4. #24

    Re: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

    Test Results from the Labor Day Weekend Compression Test
    Cyl #1 124 psi
    Cyl #2 124 psi
    Cyl #3 124 psi
    Cyl #4 135 psi
    Cyl #5 125 psi
    Cyl #6 125 psi
    Cyl #7 120 psi (would not hold pressure)
    Cyl #8 124 psi
    Not too bad for 35 year old iron...
    Will need to look deeper into Cyl #7 issue. Anyone have any thoughts on the numbers being in the 120 range? I thought they would have been a bit higher, maybe 150's or so.
    Last edited by JetNeck; 09-08-2013 at 09:27 PM.

  5. #25

    Re: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by itsmeagain View Post
    Our first family jet boat was a 1973 Spoiler.Attachment 11499Attachment 11498

    Awesome pic and the best Background of the Month photo yet

  6. The following user Likes roblock's post:


  7. #26
    NUTTZ
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hooper Utah
    Posts
    1,970

    Re: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by roblock View Post
    Awesome pic and the best Background of the Month photo yet
    X2

  8. #27

    Re: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by JetNeck View Post
    Test Results from the Labor Day Weekend Compression Test
    Cyl #1 124 psi
    Cyl #2 124 psi
    Cyl #3 124 psi
    Cyl #4 135 psi
    Cyl #5 125 psi
    Cyl #6 125 psi
    Cyl #7 120 psi (would not hold pressure)
    Cyl #8 124 psi
    Not too bad for 35 year old iron...
    Will need to look deeper into Cyl #7 issue. Anyone have any thoughts on the numbers being in the 120 range? I thought they would have been a bit higher, maybe 150's or so.
    Compression on a fresh build should be around 150psi. All cylinders should be within 10% of each other. Looks like you've accomplished that. Still not bad for a 35 year old engine. As far as the leak down, what you need to find out is if escapes from the intake or exhaust valves (burnt valve) or if you're getting air pushing out the breathers (ring seating issue).
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

  9. #28

    Re: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Compression on a fresh build should be around 150psi. All cylinders should be within 10% of each other. Looks like you've accomplished that. Still not bad for a 35 year old engine. As far as the leak down, what you need to find out is if escapes from the intake or exhaust valves (burnt valve) or if you're getting air pushing out the breathers (ring seating issue).
    Thanks, we'll be doing some more testing this weekend.

  10. #29

    Re: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

    Well, we had a pretty good 'last weekend of the season' with the boat. I meant to post an update right away, but life grabbed hold and sucked a whole week out of me.

    Our plan for the last weekend was to change out the warped Indamar exhaust logs with a pair of nice flat Hardin logs I pick up from a fellow jet boater in CA. Unfortunately, the corrosion gods were not in favor of this plan... we busted off one log-snail studs and were clearly on our way to breaking more. Decided to leave the manifolds for a winter project.

    We got the boat tucked into its winter storage garage, with a plan for one more fall visit to winterize the engine. We are in Minnesota and I'm sure it will be quite cold this winter.

    My boys, and I have been in deep discussion over whether, or not, to pull the motor and give it a winter once over.

    A previous owner had added an oil drain hose to the pan, however, we could not get any oil to drain out (yes, yes, there is oil in the engine.) Not sure if it is too small a hose, or if there is sludge in the bottom of the pan.

    In addition, it appears we have a few small water leaks from areas of the engine that do not normally spit out water; bell housing, starter area, etc. I mentioned in an earlier post that Cylinder #7 would not hold pressure in a compression test. This is the same bank that is leaking water and has the warped manifold. I am thinking there was an overheat incident in the past and we may have a blown head gasket, or worse.

    The motor is also sounding very tired, runs rough and has a lot of redneck wiring in place. Since we have very little history on the boat, the best route is to pull the engine this fall and open 'er up between winter snowmobile trips.

    New plan is to skip winterizing, pull the engine, have the heads and block magnafluxed and plan from there.
    Last edited by JetNeck; 09-24-2013 at 09:42 PM.

  11. The following 2 users Like JetNeck's post:


  12. #30
    Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod
    "THE ADVOCATE"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Gender:
    Posts
    7,018

    Re: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

    Definitely sounds like a good plan. Easier to pay a machine shop and a supplier over a winter than during a short summer season!!
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

  13. The following user Likes "THE ADVOCATE"'s post:


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •