DSI Top
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

Re: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

David, You will be happy with the new addition we picked up tonight. Needs a little TLC, but the boat will look much better in its new ride... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Trailer 3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	392.2 KB 
ID:	11723
    Last edited by JetNeck; 08-27-2013 at 08:05 PM.

2. The following 2 users Like JetNeck's post:

Just call me "Infidel" Site Admin David's Avatar

It will be much happier with the added support...
    Nationwide Insurance Agent www.DavidSantanaInsurance.com Office: 916-429-4741
    Fax: 916-467-4499 Cell: 916-517-9325 Email: santad2@nationwide.com

Quote Originally Posted by JetNeck View Post
    Love the pictures of the '73 Spoiler.
    We had our '78 in the water a few weekends ago. Runs pretty good, but appears to have a bit of an exhaust leak. New Manifold gaskets will be going on Labor Day weekend.
    I am also going to look at a longer trailer tomorrow evening. The current trailer is 18ft with roller carriages extending another foot off the back. The boat is fully supported, but I think it will fit better on a longer trailer. New prospect is a 20' tandem axle trailer. Looks nice.
    I have been polishing like crazy, but have concluded a good wet sanding is in order. Way too much neglect over the past 35 years.
    I'll keep the updates coming...
    I would proceed with caution if you plan on color sanding. Most of the time what you see, the clouding faded affect is not on the surface but under the clear coat. Metal flake usually burns the clear coat from the bottom up to the surface. One way to see if sanding and buffing will help is to run water over the surface; if the surface looks shinny than a good buffing will help, but if it still looks cloudy and faded there is nothing you can really do. The amount of clear over the metal flake will also determine what can be done. Some manufacturers would spray a coat of clear first followed by clear with the metal flake color. That was usually followed with a back-up color that matched close to the flake color but some manufacturers omitted this step. If the surface feels gritty, then it is possible most of the clear is gone and what you are feeling if the actual flake. If you were to sand or buff with a heavy compound you could be cutting into the flake and start removing the color leaving silver blotches in the surface. One thing that can sometimes save an old metal flake surface is to re-apply clear over the surface; but that can get expensive and is very labor intensive. Good Luck.
    Petey

I understand. I think the previous owner used the beast as a logging raft. It is pretty incredible how scratched it is. Looks terrible. If the wet sanding does not go well, we will just have to go the painted route. Since we are using 800-1200 sandpaper, we will not be taking too much off.

Quote Originally Posted by JetNeck View Post
    I understand. I think the previous owner used the beast as a logging raft. It is pretty incredible how scratched it is. Looks terrible. If the wet sanding does not go well, we will just have to go the painted route. Since we are using 800-1200 sandpaper, we will not be taking too much off.
    That would be a good grit to start with. But sand a little, use a squeegee to dry the area and check it out. You would be surprised how quick you can cut through the clear. I worked for a So Cal builder and we color sanded all the decks starting with a 1000 grit paper and then used a high speed grinder as a buffer and polished with a good cutting pad and a combination of green buffing rouge and a metal polish/fiberglass cleaner called Rolite. Donít be afraid to crank up the buffer speed and apply pressure. Gel-coat will not burn like paint, but watch out for all the hard edges; you can accidently remove material fast in those areas if not carful. Post some pictures when you get it finished. I like seeing the old boats brought back to life.

7. The following user Likes itsmeagain's post:

Well we had a great Labor Day weekend. Replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets, leak is better, but found that one of the manifold logs is warped. Might need to have it machined flat again. Engine needs a bit of tuning too.

We are also looking at replacing the old points ignition with electronic. Would love some feedback and recommendations from the VJB team. And we are looking for a Place Diverter. Anyone have any used parts around?
    Last edited by JetNeck; 09-08-2013 at 12:04 AM.

The first weekend we had the Spoiler in the water, we found that the steering cable was seized tighter than a drum. Replaced the cable on weekend #2 and finally got a taste of what we had. The boat GPS'd at about 40mph. Pretty sad, but it was a start. Weekend #3 brought the new manifold gaskets. Speed improved to 48mph. We are going in the right direction.

11. The following 2 users Like JetNeck's post:

Not sure if I missed it, but what's powering it? If you're running a big block (doesn't matter the make), I would think you should be dipping into the 50 MPH range easily.
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Not sure if I missed it, but what's powering it? If you're running a big block (doesn't matter the make), I would think you should be dipping into the 50 MPH range easily.
    The boat has a Ford 460/Berkeley JG Pump. I do not believe it has ever been rebuilt. Somewhere along the line an Edelbrock 650cfm carb was added. I have a feeling the throttle cable may be stretched, not allowing us to get to WOT. Also planning to check the ignition timing next time we are out. Jet pump may also need some work. The goal is 60mph.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information