DSI Top
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

Re: '78 Wriedt Spoiler 19 Jet

Interesting stuff The characteristic design for me is the windscreen surround - curious that none of the boats in the '69 brochure actually have that!

Well,

Teardown weekend went well. We did not find any major issues, worn cylinders, worn bearing, etc. Here are some photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails e91465f8-f091-4e63-a696-dd60f91175b7_zps120a1307.jpg   05f39998-18c4-447f-83f2-855b76e04535_zpscc4f22a8.jpg   cbf39253-b6ba-43b2-9e15-d9f1d64ef209_zpsa8ba27b3.jpg   6bd51b14-31b6-4732-93b9-5c13b308ba01_zpsdb08515f.jpg  
    Last edited by JetNeck; 02-15-2014 at 09:09 PM.

3. The following 3 users Like JetNeck's post:

Good news.
    Last edited by T8er S.; 12-01-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: wrenchin

Wow, how time flies!!

I am sure I am not the first to tear down a boat engine, then fall victim to the time and budget crunch. We are a year and a half in to the engine rebuild project. Making headway, but it is taking a bit more time than originally planned.

We have managed to secure a Ford 460 D0VE-A block for the base platform of our build. The nice thing about this particular casting is that it has thick main webs and is more suitable for converting to 4 bolt mains. Many may ask, "why 4 bolt mains for an engine with a 500hp goal?" The answer is simple and follows with why my boys and I do most things in life... because we can!!

I know we may not need them, but they will sure be cool to talk about.

The block has been bored .030 and the crank turned .010/.010. We are making progress.

We are also restoring a set of Iron D0VE-C heads to cap off the buckets. Again, I know that there are modern aluminum versions out there, but we are going for the iron heads, because it is more about the story and effort we are going through than just buying HP.

I will try to update a bit more often as we enter spring 2015. Our goal is to get the boat back in the water soon.

6. The following 2 users Like JetNeck's post:

Quote Originally Posted by JetNeck View Post
    Wow, how time flies!!

I am sure I am not the first to tear down a boat engine, then fall victim to the time and budget crunch. We are a year and a half in to the engine rebuild project. Making headway, but it is taking a bit more time than originally planned.

We have managed to secure a Ford 460 D0VE-A block for the base platform of our build. The nice thing about this particular casting is that it has thick main webs and is more suitable for converting to 4 bolt mains. Many may ask, "why 4 bolt mains for an engine with a 500hp goal?" The answer is simple and follows with why my boys and I do most things in life... because we can!!

I know we may not need them, but they will sure be cool to talk about.

The block has been bored .030 and the crank turned .010/.010. We are making progress.

We are also restoring a set of Iron D0VE-C heads to cap off the buckets. Again, I know that there are modern aluminum versions out there, but we are going for the iron heads, because it is more about the story and effort we are going through than just buying HP.

I will try to update a bit more often as we enter spring 2015. Our goal is to get the boat back in the water soon.
    I (and a few others) understand, completely! I recently found a set of D2OE-AB heads (police interceptor) with new guides, seats, seals, SS valves, springs, and surfaced. It is always more fun, using finesse, instead of just throwing money at a build.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

8. The following user Likes 78_Tahiti's post:

Update,

The boys and I have started dedicating Tuesday Evenings to the boat project. This has helped move things along a bit.

The block work is done, well, almost. Still need to do final hone on cylinders once we decide on what pistons we are going to use.

4 bolt main conversion has been completed.

and head porting is under way. I will try to post more pics ad update more often.

10. The following 2 users Like JetNeck's post:

WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR HEAD WORK
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

** Quick Update **

We are still working on the engine rebuild. Holy cow,how the time slips by!!

We have the short block assembled, .030 overbore, Keith Black pistons, Scat H Beam Rods and ARB bolts.

Working on ordering a Kaase oil pump, cm kit just arrived and will go in soon.

After two years, I finally concluded that I would likely not finish the port job on my own. Dropped the heads off at a local guru's shop last week.

I really would like to get the boat back in the water this summer.

13. The following user Likes JetNeck's post:

Short block assembly pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01-01-02.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	19480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4398.JPG 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	19481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4399.JPG 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	19482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4400.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	19483

15. The following user Likes JetNeck's post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information