DSI Top

Thread: Ford 460 Question

Ford 460 Question

Hello, I'm new to Vintage Jet Boats. I have a long, painful story about my jet boat; I suppose I'll tell that another time. I am down to two sorry engines to work with. This is definitely a hillbilly question but I am just wondering. I have some minor rust pits in one cylinder. Has anyone used JB Weld with any luck to fill anything like this. If I can fill the pits and sand it down smooth, maybe I can get a season out of the engine. I've heard stories about the product and have used it many times, but I don't know if the stuff will take it in this situation. I trusted the seller of the boat and the seller of my spare engine that wound up to be pretty tired. I take people's word as truth--my wife tells me I shouldn't do that anymore. I'll definitely have more hillbilly questions later.

Re: Ford 460 Question

No! lol it won't work. If there are just a few 'pits' in the cylinder wall, run it. You shouldn't see any excess oil consumption unless you have a groove that runs the length of the cylinder wall.....Or have it over bored. While the engine is apart (I'm assuming it is) throw a junk yard rebuild into it....rings, bearings, a pre '70 timing set, oil pump and valve seals. That should get you through a season any way (that's assuming that the rest of the engine isn't too far gone).
    Rob
    Last edited by White Lightning; 06-20-2013 at 07:26 PM.
    Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
    "Alaska Hawaii, Shipping Here Is Terrible!" (AH, $hit Club)

3. The following 2 users Like White Lightning's post:

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Welcome, my name is Jason and I am a hill billy too.... LOL. Denver is a big place! There has to be a short or long block somewhere with your name on it! Half of the fun of boats is searching for parts. That being said, I have heard of duct tape, tie wire, and JB weld fixing anything, just not a cylinder wall!! Post up some pics of the float, and keep the faith brother, we are here for you.
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

5. The following 3 users Like "THE ADVOCATE"'s post:

Thanks for the great replies. I am a member of the other jet boat site also but I like this one much better. I, unfortunatley, bought a replacement 460 a few weeks ago. The seller bought it from a rich friend and it supposedly had about 30K miles. Boy was I a sucker, it's probably closer to 330K miles. So I have another project motor in my garage. I was concerned the bum cylinder would pump up oil so I appreciate that bit of info. I have a set of DOVE-C heads off my other bum engine. I would like to put the heads on the engine in the boat. Is there anything special I need to do to do this? I'll post a couple pics today.

7. The following user Likes Thedogkeeper's post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thedogkeeper View Post
    Thanks for the great replies. I am a member of the other jet boat site also but I like this one much better. I, unfortunatley, bought a replacement 460 a few weeks ago. The seller bought it from a rich friend and it supposedly had about 30K miles. Boy was I a sucker, it's probably closer to 330K miles. So I have another project motor in my garage. I was concerned the bum cylinder would pump up oil so I appreciate that bit of info. I have a set of DOVE-C heads off my other bum engine. I would like to put the heads on the engine in the boat. Is there anything special I need to do to do this? I'll post a couple pics today.
    Give High Flow Dynamics a call, think he goes by "lakes only" He has a wealth of knowledge on the 460!

9. The following user Likes GA JET SR's post:

Thanks.

The D0VE C's will be a good choice flow wise. You'll have to watch what pistons that you use with them because they have a chamber size of around 72CC's or you'll be out of the pump gas range.....not that that is a BAD thing (IMHO) lol.
    My suggestion for what to do with the heads would be to, as said, contact Paul Kane @ High Flow Dynamics ( http://www.highflowdynamics.com/) Or contact Scotty Johnson (AKA The Mad Porter) @ http://r-h-p.biz/ . He used to have a site that gave very specific porting instructions for the Ford heads, darned if I can find it at the moment....or you can send them to someone like me to have the "Super Tune" put on them lol. It all boils down to 'how experienced are you with doing performance automotive engine building'. There's a whopping amount of power to be had with the BBF's, my Kona has been 'de-tuned' and should make WELL in excess of 600 horse with a mostly factory Ford block, reworked factory iron heads, crank and rods..... on a 2 bolt bottom end.
    Hope that helps.
    Rob
    Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
    "Alaska Hawaii, Shipping Here Is Terrible!" (AH, $hit Club)

12. The following user Likes White Lightning's post:

Thanks Rob. I can put engines together but have never modified anything. I'll definitely check the piston situation because the engine in the boat is, I believe, modified by Harman. I want to make sure I don't put the wrong parts in it. I sure don't want to put a large amount of money into a '76--although 600 hp is amazing. I have the boat up for sale on craigslist; I'm getting tired of working on things and I have way too many projects. I'll keep working on it since there aren't may people willing to buy a project boat. It seems to be this boat wants to be a challenge.
    Last edited by Thedogkeeper; 06-21-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Hi

Looking for a set of good d0ve - c heads to replace my d3's, any help appreciated

Thread Information