DSI Top
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Place diverter and reverse

NUTTZ

Place diverter and reverse

I just recently installed a place diverter on my berkley. Im really disapointed in its reverse capabilities. The stock snout on the berkley came out about 3 inches the one on the place diverter really doesnt stick out at all. Is there a real reason for this? I go up tight rivers alot and being able to throw it into reverse quick is a must. I dont like waiting for the diverter to go down then hit reverse. Plus it sprays a ton of water back into the boat. The stock set up never did that. I machined a 3in insert this morning to go inside the place diverter. Ill test it out tomorrow and see if it gives me what I want.

Just call me "Infidel" Site Admin David's Avatar

Re: Place diverter and reverse

I've noticed on mine that reverse works great when my nozzle is straight out like in the stock no diverter position...
    Nationwide Insurance Agent www.DavidSantanaInsurance.com Office: 916-429-4741
    Fax: 916-467-4499 Cell: 916-517-9325 Email: santad2@nationwide.com

Re: Place diverter and reverse(sucks)

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I've noticed on mine that reverse works great when my nozzle is straight out like in the stock no diverter position...

ya on a place the nozzle needs to be straight out in order to work good and yes you would have to lower it or raise it which ever. Your old nozzle your talking about was it just a stock nozzle or was it a jetavator nozzle.

you said your stock snout on the Berkley came out about 3 inches so dose the diverter one it just dosnt show you that because theres that skid -ride plate molded into it so that part dosent drag like the stock one doses for a short time till your boat gets out of the water.All I can say is if you think your going to need reverse fast keep your nozzle in the straight sport lol

NUTTZ

I understand that it does work better in the straight position but it still doesnt work as good as the stock one and it sure does shoot alot of water back into the boat. The prototype part I made is going to need a different design to get less drag out of it but you get the general idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100MEDIAIMAG0590.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	10644

The stock set up. Quite a bit of difference in the reverse department

Name:	100MEDIAIMAG0589.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	10645

Just call me "Infidel" Site Admin David's Avatar

It looks like we did the same type of change over... But like I said as long as mine is level I've been happy with the reverse performance... I haven't tried it at speed as a brake yet but, around the docks and stuff it works just fine.

Nationwide Insurance Agent www.DavidSantanaInsurance.com Office: 916-429-4741
    Fax: 916-467-4499 Cell: 916-517-9325 Email: santad2@nationwide.com

Place diverter and reverse---USE SOME THROTTLE

Quote Originally Posted by NEWDUCK View Post
    I understand that it does work better in the straight position but it still doesnt work as good as the stock one and it sure does shoot alot of water back into the boat. The prototype part I made is going to need a different design to get less drag out of it but you get the general idea.
    Mine does the same, unless I angle the diverter up a little bit. Whenever I start to slow down, I just raise the diverter up and that keeps the water from spraying on the motor. If I forget, it will spray so much in the back of the boat that I have to turn the bilge pump on. Be careful turning when you are at speed with the diverter angled too far down. I've found that out the hard. If I make a turn going 15-20mph or faster with the diverter too far down, it will throw the boat into a spin (kinda spooked me first time it happened). Now I haul ass around the turns with the diverter up a little. I guess it must keep the back of the boat planted better with the diverter pushing the back of the hull down, not up. For reverse, I personally would try getting the angle to where it won't spray your motor down and then using as much throttle as needed for reverse to work, before adding anything to it.
    Last edited by S&S; 06-20-2013 at 08:41 AM.

After my droop and 24" ride plate....my reverse didn't work at all. I am sure the dock spectators at strawberry were impressed as I came in a little hot to the dock.....slammed it in reverse......hit the key and gave her a little stab....and slammed even faster into the dock. lol Needless to say I know longer even have a reverse bucket. I have been tempted to try the rams horn dealio.....maybe one day I will get that bored. After growing up in and owning a k boat.....you get use to no reverse.

I just recently installed a place diverter on my berkley. Im really disapointed in its reverse capabilities. The stock snout on the berkley came out about 3 inches the one on the place diverter really doesnt stick out at all. Is there a real reason for this? I go up tight rivers alot and being able to throw it into reverse quick is a must. I dont like waiting for the diverter to go down then hit reverse. Plus it sprays a ton of water back into the boat. The stock set up never did that. I machined a 3in insert this morning to go inside the place diverter. Ill test it out tomorrow and see if it gives me what I want.
    My kids always loved that feature. Come to the no-wake zone pretty hot, throw it in reverse with the diverter down, wa-la, brakes with instant drenching! Its pure physics. With the diverter down, the pump will be pushing water up when the reverse bucket is dropped.
    '78 Glastron/Carlson CV23 - 429/Berkeley; '64 Ford Falcon 'vert; '04 Saab 95 Aero
    Bradley GTE Electric; '99 Tahoe, 2000 Big Dog Bulldog

NUTTZ

429- I understand what it does but I dont get why it throws water from the back of my pump up the the driver. It was much nicer when I could be flying along and nose dive the front and get wet. But now water sprays from the back to the front.
    Mofo- haha that reminds me of the great outdoors when he slams that v drive up onto the dock.

Reverse in general does work just not as a speed brake as I need/want it too. So ill give this a try tonight. Might create a bit more drag but oh well. I could machine one that contours closer to the pump.... hope not tho

In the down position

Name:	100MEDIAIMAG0591.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	10646

In the up

Name:	100MEDIAIMAG0592.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	10647

429- I understand what it does but I dont get why it throws water from the back of my pump up the the driver. It was much nicer when I could be flying along and nose dive the front and get wet. But now water sprays from the back to the front.
    Mofo- haha that reminds me of the great outdoors when he slams that v drive up onto the dock.

Reverse in general does work just not as a speed brake as I need/want it too. So ill give this a try tonight. Might create a bit more drag but oh well. I could machine one that contours closer to the pump.... hope not tho

In the down position

Name:	100MEDIAIMAG0591.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	10646

In the up

Name:	100MEDIAIMAG0592.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	10647
    I love that show. Btw....what part of Utah ya in....where do you usually boat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information