DSI Top
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 76 SleekCraft Ambassador Restoration

Re: 76 SleekCraft Ambassador Restoration

Aug 25, 2010:
    Some interior pics after the first round of deep cleaning. Oh yeah, The radio works. Turned it on tonight just for a goof and it was tuned to a station playing some Barry White. It was classic. We were cracking up.

89 21' Eliminator Daytona - 454 BBC / 76 SleekCraft Ambassador - 455 Olds / 74 SleekCraft Rebel - Pontiac 400

2. The following user Likes Last Mohican's post:

89 21' Eliminator Daytona - 454 BBC / 76 SleekCraft Ambassador - 455 Olds / 74 SleekCraft Rebel - Pontiac 400

4. The following user Likes Last Mohican's post:

Ordered new gauges. I went with Hardin Marine Stainless.

Last edited by Last Mohican; 06-27-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Gauges showed up. All I can say is I am very pleased with them. It would be hard to beat the look for the money. The gauge housing and mounting is identical to the Teleflex gauges I put in my Rebel. I'm betting whoever builds Teleflex gauges also builds these. We are headed to the lake. More pics to follow later this week.

Sorry for the bad after pictures. I was working under a tree and the shade was a problem. I will get some better after pics at the lake today. I had to cut down the hold down for all the gauges. No bid deal. They are aluminum and cut easily with a hack saw. I also had to enlarge the hole for the tach slightly. I used a cheap little drum sander from Harbor Freight that fits in a drill.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-piec...kit-42006.html

Before

After

Last edited by Last Mohican; 06-27-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Better pics

I've got a fuel pressure issue. It will run great for 10 - 15 minutes at 3200 or so then it just peters out. The fuel pressure falls completely off to 0. After is sits (get towed) for 10 - 15 minutes it will fire right back up and the fuel pressure will return to ~ 6 lbs. This is a mechanical fuel pump and a Q-Jet carb. It has a new water separator and all new rubber fuel lines. My gut feeling is there is sediment in the tank that gets suspended and after 10 minutes or so it manages to pack the sock on the tank pickup. Once the boat dies is sloshes around and the sediment falls off the pick up and it is fine again. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. It has done this pretty consistently on every long haul I have made with it. It does just fine if I stick to short runs

In conversation with another boater at the lake this weekend he said he had the exact same issue and it was the same style water separator. He said he bypassed it with just a regular inline fuel filter and it resolved his issue. He said he fought it for a long time before finally getting it resolved.

The tanks are tabbed in with glass and I don't think I can get the pickup out without removing the tank. The plan is to bypass the separator with a filter. If that does not fix it I am going to borrow a portable fuel cell from a friend and use that instead of the on board tank. If the borrowed tank fixes it I know I have an issue in my tank. If not it has to be the pump.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm all ears.

Not a whole lot to post but I did pull the pickup tubes. They are plastic so I was able to flex them enough to get them out. The sock had already been removed. The lines were clear. There were no holes in them. I tested them by blowing through them and then plugging the other end. If there is a hole it is very small. I checked for a sticking anti siphon valve. There is no anti siphon valve so that eliminates that possibility. I also checked all the lines from the tank to selection valve. I still have a couple of things to check but so far no solution. I'll post more when I get more trouble shooting done.

Matt

I believe I have found my issue with the fuel system. It is the water separator. I pulled the fuel line back off at the tank selection valve. I pulled the other end off the fuel pump. I then blew from the valve to the pump through the separator. I could blow through it but I could tell there was some restriction. I then bypassed the separator and installed just a regular inline filter. With my calibrated lung I could tell it was much easier to blow through. Just to double check I put a short piece of fuel line on the separator and blew through it with no other devices or line hooked up. This time by the degree of light headedness I got, I could tell it is certainly restrictive. Still need to lake test it but I am pretty sure this is the issue. Iam taking my little boat out tomorrow so it will probably be Wednesday before total conformation of the issue. Confidence is high though.

(I am just kidding about the calibrated lung and light headedness BTW.

Oh, almost forgot, I plugged the fridge in. It works!!! It was ice cold in just a minute or two. Not sure if it will work on 12 VDC but it definitely works on 110 VAC

The suspected culprit.
    Last edited by Last Mohican; 06-27-2013 at 05:41 PM.

12. The following user Likes Last Mohican's post:

Fuel pressure issue is fixed!!!! Made a run across the lake and back non stop yesterday evening. The fuel pressure never fell below 5 lbs. The water separator was definitely the issue.

The trailer is fixed as well. I had a stuck equalizer on one side. I tried everything to get it unstuck. PB Blaster, heat, hammer, floor jack under the low side of the equalizer, pry bar, soak it with old brake fluid. I stopped by a repair shop on the way to the lake last night. Curt buzzed off the nut and pried the bracket apart. Still it was stuck. As one last attempt he put a jack under it and it moved!!! This winter I will probably replace the springs, hangers and bolts.

I am still having an issue with using the key to start the motor. It will turn over no problem if I short the solenoid but the key only works about 25% of the time. It is a new key switch and I have re-terminated all the connections. Today I am going to run a new wire. I am also going to take the alternator and starter to be rebuilt. The alternator is not putting out quite enough voltage and I figured since I am there I may as well do the starter. It's not that expensive and that way I know it is good.

Sorry there is no pics. All this stuff is pretty boring mechanical stuff.
    Last edited by Last Mohican; 06-27-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information