DSI Top
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: challenger engine build in progress

Re: challenger engine build in progress

made some more progress today with the box that is going to incorporate most of the electrical components. i had some spare parts that was going to make to the scrap pile due to the great hurricane sandy. this box was from a early model mercruiser multi port fuel injection engine that held multiple components like a slave solenoid for the starter the main engine circuit breaker, mulitple relays and fuse holders and the ecm. i am going to use most of those components just substitute the ecm and use it to mount the ignition coil, and the ignition amplifier and the wiring harness cannon plug and terminal strip. the pictures do not show the top cover.

2. The following user Likes lowfunds's post:

shots with the cover on

4. The following 2 users Like lowfunds's post:

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

I never talked to the guy about the gap. I didn't pin them right away and I didn't want to deal with packing them back up. In all the other conversations they sounded pretty fair.
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

it's weird that the 454 chevy headers have the same problem the 460 ford heads have. i think these headers or flanges on the headers are for a raised port head or just a very large port head. im gonna install the gaskets without the headers tomorrow to really see how much for sure they are off. but i think they are way off. still waiting for a e-mail reply or phone call back.

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

I am almost positive on the BBF. Since I had the small port heads I couldn't check and see. The 3/32" to 1/16" gap doesn't hurt flow with a little weld. They also mounted the flanges backwords for the BBF, had to grind that smooth. The gaskets I got matched perfect, so I think it was a CNC problem and a little QC slip. Its an Import tuner shop, guess we cant be to picky. LOL
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

Are these the stainless headers out of China? I've heard a lot of horror stories about them not matching up really well. I'd hate to pay anything and not have it flow well. Just like the Pro Comp heads. Exhaust flow is just as important as intake flow.
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

these are the headers that where on ebay before what seems like everyone is now selling. the company i purschased from still is selling on ebay known as relentless tuning. i spoke directly to the guy months back and he informed me that he builds them i also spoke with him about building another header but for my VW in stainless. the company is in north caroilina

Quote Originally Posted by lowfunds View Post
    these are the headers that where on ebay before what seems like everyone is now selling. the company i purschased from still is selling on ebay known as relentless tuning. i spoke directly to the guy months back and he informed me that he builds them i also spoke with him about building another header but for my VW in stainless. the company is in north caroilina
    You'd think they'd have access to BBF & BBC heads to make sure that the jig is set up properly!!!
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

11. The following user Likes wolfie's post:

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    You'd think they'd have access to BBF & BBC heads to make sure that the jig is set up properly!!!
    they bolt up with no issue its just the ports are very large and do not seem to cover the ports on the heads completely. i got some steel that i think im just gonna have cut and then just trace my correct gaskets and ports on but just make the plate as wide as my header flange just gonna have to run another set of gaskets along with the header gaskets. gonna be a little time consuming

ok well so i think i solved my header dillema i took some thick steel and traced the outer diameter of the header gasket so i knew it would be as wide as the header flange then i traced a known gasket that fits my heads and i cut it out with the plasma cutter then just went around and smoothed all the rough edges with the grinder. then i used the die grinder in the ports. they seem to do what i intended them too but will see for sure when it comes time to run it.

14. The following 2 users Like lowfunds's post:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information