Southwind Boats 916-600-6938
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Boat Mag June 2006 "Pratical 455 Olds" build article

Re: Hot Boat Mag June 2006 "Pratical 455 Olds" build article

Oh, my bad? sorry. guess I lost track of who wanted it. Doh.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

No problem I got it, thanks.
    just ignore Jason, he's all dunk on "Ford Power"

Quote Originally Posted by wardjr View Post
    No problem I got it, thanks.
    just ignore Jason, he's all dunk on "Ford Power"
    hahaha! "Ford Bliss" is an amazing feeling.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

4. The following user Likes 78_Tahiti's post:

A quick question for anyone "in the know" about distributors. First a little history for those that maybe haven't followed my "trials and tribulations".
    I started my 455 rebuild project a November of 2016. I had my engine guy follow the guide above and by August of 2016 it finally hit the water. After a proper cam break in on the stand and a fresh oil change I put it in the lake. About 20 minutes into a very mild ride the oil pressure dropped and I shut it down. I Took it out and brought it back to my guy. We are still unsure of the cause of the spun bearings but obviously something was wrong. So after some insanely careful rebuilding and double checking everything it runs again with good oil pressure. The guide above talks of using an HEI distributor and what to set the timing at. Well that's great so I order up an HEI distributor for the first rebuild and quickly discover that it is junk. The gear is of poor quality and simply will not provide consistent timing. So I decided to go back to the original points and condenser. It works just fine for testing and breaking the engine in. On other boats I have converted over to the Plantronics electronic ignition to eliminate the points and condenser. So I just ordered up one of those and will switch it out soon.

The question is twofold. The distributor has a vacuum advance, should I plug it? There's also the centrifugal weight advance, should I lock it into a certain position?

I would also very much appreciate if any answers included timing settings (advance/RPM) for any given setup.

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

If you got the Chinese dizzy original MSD replacement guts will fit right in. The placetronic kit will not work on marine dizzy (at least not Ford) to replace points system. Auto dzzy it will! but remember open air for the engine bay. Olds have more torque so not sure on timing as well as RPM ranges for your build?
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

Quote Originally Posted by wardjr View Post
    A quick question for anyone "in the know" about distributors. First a little history for those that maybe haven't followed my "trials and tribulations".
    I started my 455 rebuild project a November of 2016. I had my engine guy follow the guide above and by August of 2016 it finally hit the water. After a proper cam break in on the stand and a fresh oil change I put it in the lake. About 20 minutes into a very mild ride the oil pressure dropped and I shut it down. I Took it out and brought it back to my guy. We are still unsure of the cause of the spun bearings but obviously something was wrong. So after some insanely careful rebuilding and double checking everything it runs again with good oil pressure. The guide above talks of using an HEI distributor and what to set the timing at. Well that's great so I order up an HEI distributor for the first rebuild and quickly discover that it is junk. The gear is of poor quality and simply will not provide consistent timing. So I decided to go back to the original points and condenser. It works just fine for testing and breaking the engine in. On other boats I have converted over to the Plantronics electronic ignition to eliminate the points and condenser. So I just ordered up one of those and will switch it out soon.

The question is twofold. The distributor has a vacuum advance, should I plug it? There's also the centrifugal weight advance, should I lock it into a certain position?

I would also very much appreciate if any answers included timing settings (advance/RPM) for any given setup.
    I am a big fan of locking the distributor out on a jet boat. I think it takes like 75 hp to get to 2500 r's or so....why bother with a timing curve at all.
    Timinator.....the same guy that wrote that olds article for hot boat wrote about why he like to lock the distributors on his boats.
    If your timing is moving around check the clearance between the top of the gear and the shaft.
    I am not recommending you do this....but my dizzy is locked at 44* and starts easier than it does at say16 or 17*
    In that article Timinator explained why...but I cant remember.

Any chance you have a link to that article?

Quote Originally Posted by H20MOFO View Post
    I am not recommending you do this....but my dizzy is locked at 44* and starts easier than it does at say16 or 17*
    In that article Timinator explained why...but I cant remember.
    I am looking for more info on this part of your response.
    The only thing he mentions about timing in the "Practical 455 Olds" is
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5016.PNG 
Views:	23 
Size:	684.2 KB 
ID:	19472

There is more than one way to skin a cat. I THINK Timinator is a member here....although I havent seen him post in a long time. And maybe he isnt....my memory sucks.
    I think a pretty average total timing number for most vehicles is 33-35 ish. If you only have 12* mech advance...than means you would have to put the initial timing at 23* or so.
    Try an experiment.....I will pretty much guarantee ya the motor will crank easier at 35* than 23*
    Yes I realize that sounds backward.....if ya try it please let us know your results.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information