DSI Top
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pump specs

Re: Pump specs

there ya go! a man after my own heart LOL! I have an impeller from an early pump, here is a comparison to the later impeller.

notice the circumference of the early model is slightly smaller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	impeller_base_2diff.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	13468

since the inlet side of the impeller is the same, this would indicate, that the exit side being a little smaller, it would take less horsepower to spin the pump at the same speed as the late model pump. One other small difference, is the blades on the later impeller appear to be a little more aggressive, which would take more horsepower as well. Here's a look at the blades.

Name:	blade_comparison.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	13469

there is one more difference not pictured, the rear of the impeller (where it fits over the stator rings in the exit housing) is smaller on the early impeller, and wont fit over the later exit housing. In summary I thing the G pump takes more power to spin at the same RPM as the early pump, but has a higher volume of water passing through it. I think the early pump is like a B berkley impeller and the newer pump is closer the an A impeller on a Berkley,.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

Took apart my panther h450 yesterday and my e 450 .

Name:	image.jpg 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	13483Click image for larger version. 

Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	13484Click image for larger version. 

Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	13486
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

It looks ok in there someone has done some epoxy work. The shaft, bearings and races came out real easy . I think I may put some punch marks were the races go to hold them in beater . Or is that how it should be? . I just checked my impellers front to front and they are the same diameter. I think my maitec pump is from 1975 and my panther pump is 1990 .I have the maritec pump almost all the way torn down I just am having a hard time with the last fastener a 1/4" allen head bolt that holds on the shaft faring the corrosion has it locked in there I don't want to break it . It looks like the water seal is closer to the main bearings in the end of the shaft faring

.Click image for larger version. 

ID:	13488
    Last edited by 76 marlin dolphin; 01-23-2014 at 12:30 PM.

1990 h 450 panther darker color and was behind a GM 454
    1976 e 450 Maritec brighter polish color was behind a AMC 360

Name:	pump prop  pic2 001.jpg 
Views:	3 
ID:	13494

Name:	pump prop  pic3.jpg 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	13495

Name:	pump prop  pic2 002.jpg 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	13496

they sure look pretty damn close to the same. One area that will let the pump spin a little faster (or easier) is the clearance around the impeller. This is the difference inside the housing. The factory specs for the gap between the impeller and housing is between .025"-.030", on all sides. With the Bronze sleeve, like mine has, that is reduced to between .010"-.012". the Panthers will still function pretty well with up to around .060" clearance. the result is just a little higher revving engine. (good for a little block)

I think its right around 0.060" now from wear. So i think i will leave it and see how it runs. My impellers look real close to me too
    just a few real subtle things .

Quote Originally Posted by 76 marlin dolphin View Post
    After looking at the pumps side by side the e pumps exit is 0.375" smaller
    Is this dimension measured in the square part of the exit housing in front of the steering nozzle? and is it that much smaller top to bottom & side to side? The reason I ask, is I had the opportunity a few years ago, to talk to Steve at Panther. He was one of the Original Engineers, or so he said. He told me they made a few different sized exit housings, but Would Not give me the specs of the variations, or the application list, for different sized exit housings. Tim at Place Diverters, has been playing with a Panther Jet for a customer, where they whacked off the tail end of the exit, and welded a Berkley Flange on it, and bolted one of his steering/diverter nozzles on it. I think it would a great idea, as long as the Berkley style steering nozzle was large enough to let the pump flow enough volume. He said he was going to keep boring it, until the unit showed improvements. Im not sure how far they have played with it. But I think it needs a larger casting, so they can at least make it as large as the stock exit, which is 3.5" X 3.75" o the 2 stock exit housings I have, besides the Panthervator model on my Tahiti.

I have not checked the inside measurement , I will mesure it tomarrow .

The exit hole is the same size . Its the internal size in front of the exit on the maritec is smaller and a straighter shape very subtle . Behind the stator blades is a strange bump shape .The maritec also has a much smoother casting surface finish.

Name:	pump exit 004.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	13577
    You can see the bump on the out side of the maritec on the right and the subtle difference in shape. The internal wall thickness is the same.

Name:	pump exit 006.jpg 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	13578
    Maritec stator has a small bevel blending the impeller into the housing and the stator blades are closer to the impeller.

Name:	pump exit 007.jpg 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	13579
    Panther H450 stator has no bevel blending the impeller into the housing and blades are farther away from the impeller.

Name:	pump exit 005.jpg 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	13580
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pump exit 002.jpg   pump exit 001.jpg  
    Last edited by 76 marlin dolphin; 11-13-2014 at 10:11 AM.

great pics. You brought up an interesting point, that I have not had anyone be able to answer. According to the service Manuel. The stater blades play an important role in pump operation. I can not find any information about how close these should be in relation to the rear edge of the blades on the impeller. Since the Impeller has 5 blades, and the stater has 8 blades, I would think a small amount of space between them is so, it doesn't create a restriction at when the blades aren't lined up, as the impeller spins. But I would think there has to be an optimum distance there. Legend Jet Drive, was founded by a couple of guys that cast up a bowl with 7 or 9 vanes (i can't remember exactly) that improved performance, and Berkley told them, their pumps performed just fine, the way they were.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information