DSI Top
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleekcraft tunnel OB thoughts

Sleekcraft tunnel OB thoughts

Well I am gonna try and get this Sleekcraft tunnel from the local auto auction place. I happen to know boats like this missing motors and stuff usually only gor for 100 or so and that is wha Im aiming to pay for it as long as nobody sees it thats into boats like that.

Anyway it is an outboard hull with a right hand drive(that sucks) missing motor and I think it has a ratty interior(hard to tell with all the trash in it. Gelcoat might be able to be sanded and polished and saved pretty sure but over-all its solid.

What is a fair max to pay for this hull?

I dont do whackers really but I love tunnels and this looks like a decent project BUT if i wanted to convert to a jet and converting to left-hand drive, is it possible without butchering the back of the hull to clear a motor(TOM,where are you).Just wondering cause if its too complicated I am fine hanging a whacker back on it.

Oh yea,does anybody know what model it is offhand?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20130124_165044.jpg   IMG_20130124_165029.jpg   IMG_20130124_165025.jpg   IMG_20130124_165010.jpg   IMG_20130124_165411.jpg  

Re: Sleekcraft tunnel OB thoughts

Why would the steering have to be on the other side?

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Sleek SST. Good find! Sport model based from the Aristocrat mold.
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

Quote Originally Posted by PHOENIX View Post
    I'm just used to jets and thats whats comfortable to me LOL

Just call me "Infidel" Site Admin David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiian_jet View Post
    I'm just used to jets and thats whats comfortable to me LOL
    My Glastron is on the right and I got used to it real quick... Just sayin...
    It also had the Morse throttle control, got used to it too...
    I thought both those things were gonna make me nuts... It's all good...
    Nationwide Insurance Agent www.DavidSantanaInsurance.com Office: 916-429-4741
    Fax: 916-467-4499 Cell: 916-517-9325 Email: santad2@nationwide.com

If you put a whacker back on it, leave it on the right side. You'll be happy you did. I know there are a lot of guys that do a whackerectomy on tunnels (Kreg for one), but I'm not sure about doing one on an SST. From what I know, they all came out of the same mold and either got a whacker hung on it or it was cut for a jet. I would think this is true for that.
    If you do a whackerectomy on it and put in a jet, you should have mo problem rigging it for left hand drive. You just have to cut a new hole in the dash and the side panel for the bucket control, then add the hot foot. Shouldn't be a problem what so ever.

As far as what's a fair price for it? What ever it's worth to you unless you're planning on turning it for a profit. If that's the case, forget it because you never get you money or time back.
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

7. The following 2 users Like wolfie's post:

My 73 Tahiti had steering on the right. Not sure why most are on the left (my Rochelle was as so is my present sleek). As I'm sure you know, it only matters on a prop boat of which the prop torque will make the boat ride leaning one way or the other depending on rotaion. They will put the wheel on the high side so your weight will balance it out. I suppose, if it doesn't matter, they do it like a car for familiarity and comfort?

One bonus with doing gender reassignment on the wacker.....is that you can set the pump back where ever you want with out having to do glass work to fill in the front of the old hole. That and when you are done ...your boat will be happier.lol

NUTTZ

you may hit a snag on the rear deck area and need to do some glass work. I'm not sure how much problem if any the outboard splash well area would be.
    Never Drive Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly.

My 73 Tahiti had steering on the right. Not sure why most are on the left (my Rochelle was as so is my present sleek). As I'm sure you know, it only matters on a prop boat of which the prop torque will make the boat ride leaning one way or the other depending on rotaion. They will put the wheel on the high side so your weight will balance it out. I suppose, if it doesn't matter, they do it like a car for familiarity and comfort?
    Main reason for the steering on the left for jets and v-drives was due to the hot foot throttle peddle. There was no room on the right.
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

12. The following 4 users Like wolfie's post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information