JBP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 429 intake question

429 intake question

I found an Edelbrock Performer 460 (not an RPM) intake fairly cheap. Was planning on using a Weiand Stealth, but I can get this one plus an Edelbrock carb for around $100.

How well will the Performer perform on an early (360hp, 10.5:1 comp, D0VE) 429? I've read a few forums where folks are saying they're basically just an aluminum version of the factory iron 4v intake, offering no performance gain. I'd rather wait and pick up a Stealth if there is no real performance gain going to the Performer.

Thanks!!
    '78 Glastron/Carlson CV23 - 429/Berkeley; Ford Falcon 'vert; '05 Saab 93 Aero
    Bradley GTE Electric; GMC K2500 Suburban; 'Zuki Intruder 1400

Re: 429 intake question

This site has a lot of serious motor heads, might want to give them a try: http://www.screamandfly.com/

Just call me "Infidel" Site Admin David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
    I found an Edelbrock Performer 460 (not an RPM) intake fairly cheap. Was planning on using a Weiand Stealth, but I can get this one plus an Edelbrock carb for around $100.

How well will the Performer perform on an early (360hp, 10.5:1 comp, D0VE) 429? I've read a few forums where folks are saying they're basically just an aluminum version of the factory iron 4v intake, offering no performance gain. I'd rather wait and pick up a Stealth if there is no real performance gain going to the Performer.

Thanks!!
    Hang tite man... You'll get an educated response...

Quote Originally Posted by PHOENIX View Post
    This site has a lot of serious motor heads, might want to give them a try: http://www.screamandfly.com/
    See above...
    Nationwide Insurance Agent www.DavidSantanaInsurance.com
    Cell: 916-517-9325 Fax: 916-467-4499 Email: david@nationwideme.com

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Might have a 429/460 cobra jet intake available in a week or so if you are interested.
    She's got no oil pressure, been in the rain and has a big scratch in the bow. I am not scared anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hang tite man... You'll get an educated response...

See above...
    I just mentioned the site because a few years back I got some good advice from some real knowledgable guys on there.
    The carb, intake, cam, etc. all have to accent each other properly or you can waste alot of time and/or money. Edelbrock
    has sold these as kits since the 80's so as to take all the guess work out of it.

I found this site, which gives good examples of Edelbrock intake power numbers. Wish they would have tested with a stock 4v manifold too; the HP numbers listed are kind of worthless without the stock HP.
    http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...e/viewall.html

Intakes, cams, heads, and compression all have to be matched. That being said, if you're not running anything wild, one of the best intakes is the Edelbrock Air-Gap manifold. It actually outdoes a lot of the intakes that were previously considered the "hot ticket" manifolds. It works with a wide range of applications.
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

From what the PO told me, they pulled the 429 from a car after he found out (incorrectly) the original 460 only had 225hp. So it seems to be a stock, 360hp 429. I don't know if it has the 429's original 4v intake, or the 4v intake from the 460, but they did install a tiny 600cfm Edelbrock.
    Waiting to hear from the seller if the intake is a Performer or a Performer RPM, and what model the carb is. If its a 750cfm Eddy, I'll grab the package for $100, I can prob sell the currently installed rebuilt Eddy 600 for that.

The biggest thing is that you put together something that you can enjoy on the budget you have. If you're looking to race, that's one thing. If you're looking for fun, then you're just want to make sure it's efficient and reliable!
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    The biggest thing is that you put together something that you can enjoy on the budget you have. If you're looking to race, that's one thing. If you're looking for fun, then you're just want to make sure it's efficient and reliable!
    Certainly not a race boat! LOL
    Just would like to get into the 4700-4800rpm range instead of 4100 or so. I think the carb is limiting power the most right now. Changing the intake/carb should get her into that range; also have an NOS Prestolite marine dizzy to replace the vac advance automotive dizzy the PO installed. More accurately, he prob just left the dizzy in, and the 4v intake and 600 were prob on the 429 in the car too.
    I'm sure the 429 will need freshening after the next season or two, so I'll improve the internals a bit then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information