DSI Top

Thread: Rot Repair vs Wood Replacement

Rot Repair vs Wood Replacement

Just wanted to make fellow boaters aware of an excellent product that can be used to repair dry rot as opposed to replacing the wood, in some cases. As well as an alternative method of sealing newly exposed wood in your boat (new stringer bolt holes, etc) The Company is the Rot-Doctor, they make a nuique expoxy resin that will penetrate dry wood and seal it internaly, as well as strengthen it! Check it out! http://www.rotdoctor.com/glass/GLrotrepair.html
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

Just call me "Infidel" Site Admin David's Avatar

Re: Rot Repair vs Wood Replacement

Dude you on so on it!!!!
    Nationwide Insurance Agent www.DavidSantanaInsurance.com Office: 916-429-4741
    Fax: 916-467-4499 Cell: 916-517-9325 Email: santad2@nationwide.com

dude, i was talking to the guy at the figerglass shop, they have new stuff out now, it's not wood they replace with or build boat with anymore. I'ts a composite type material just as strong if not stronger then wood. I'll ask him what the name of the stuff is the next time i see him.
    79 ROCHELLE 21' OPEN BOW/BBF STROKER BUILT BY JBP/BERKLEY 12JE "STAINLESS A IMPELLER"

They use some awesome laminates! It is lighter then lumber and much stronger. Composite materials have come a looooong way since most of our boates were originally built!

yes, this is true, and most of them are made from recycled plastic
    79 ROCHELLE 21' OPEN BOW/BBF STROKER BUILT BY JBP/BERKLEY 12JE "STAINLESS A IMPELLER"

Many of you already know about my 1979 Rowdy Sandollar project jet. I bought 2 gallons of the CPES from the Rot Doctor and have used almost all of it. I was floored by just how much was absorbed into the stringers (and even the transom). But it worked as advertized. Its alot of work to dowel and fill holes later, but not any more than stringer replacement. But it does takes more time overall.

Here are some before, durring, and after pics:

I also treated all new wood like the deck, and old wood that was not damaged, like seats bases and engine cover. It also soaks into bare glass matting and chop as well. I had a strip under the boat where the gelcoat had worn through to the glass on the bottom of the 'V' and it drank up CPES nicely. The former owner loved to beach the boat on sand with abandon :

I have since filled the area under the boat and am still sanding. The product worked great in my case...

Your project really came out sweet!

Thread Information