Southwind Boats 916-600-6938
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 77 GT Boats Resurrection

Re: 77 GT Boats Resurrection

i wish i would have gave the interior of my boat allittle more love when redoing it, that looks good. nice and slick.
    79 ROCHELLE 21' OPEN BOW/BBF STROKER BUILT BY JBP/BERKLEY 12JE "STAINLESS A IMPELLER"

i have to agree , looks like your doing a great job

You're doing a great job! Keep it up.

ps......West Systems is the sh*t isnt it?

Publknme

Very nice work.
    I for one appreciate the step by step pictures....

I sealed the stringers today with West system epoxy.

The metered pumps is the way to go and there is hardly any odor from the resin.

I used the fast hardener and it was 60*F. I'm curious as to how long it will take to cure.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat Overhaul 011611.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	7352

Just call me "Infidel" Site Admin David's Avatar

That West System Epoxy is the best. I began using it last year when jrork recommended it to me. I use it for repairs mostly. If I am building something new like some new seats I use good ole polyester resin.
    Nationwide Insurance Agent www.DavidSantanaInsurance.com Office: 916-429-4741
    Fax: 916-467-4499 Cell: 916-517-9325 Email: santad2@nationwide.com

Hey Dave, did you try some of the 407 filler? I used some of that when I wanted the final finish and the ease of how that sands is criminal. Sands like butter. Very cool stuff when you want the final finish to be smooooooth.

Doing great GT, keep it up!

Publknme

Quote Originally Posted by jrork link=topic=440.msg4139#msg4139 date=1295272977
    Hey Dave, did you try some of the 407 filler? I used some of that when I wanted the final finish and the ease of how that sands is criminal. Sands like butter. Very cool stuff when you want the final finish to be smooooooth.

Doing great GT, keep it up!
    the 407 filler I for one do not know about. Is this a filler or more a final glazing putty?
    by fill I mean 1/4 " or less....

** Think I Found my answer...

I also found info on Curing Here http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...stem+Epoxy+Kit
    Looks like useful Information.

I used is almost like a glazing putty but I still wanted some strength and a good bond. When I capped my boat, I used the WestSystems stuff but try as I might, I had these little tiny little pinholes (prolly worked air into the epoxy while I was applying it) and I didnt want to just rely on standard body filler so I tried the 407. It sanded so nice that I ended up skimming the seam one more time around the entire boat and then sanded it. The finished product turned out so much better than I expected and to date, there isn't one crack.

If you need a really smooth surface for something (without the super strength needs) the 407 stuff is the shizit!

Publknme

Quote Originally Posted by jrork link=topic=440.msg4141#msg4141 date=1295276457
    I used is almost like a glazing putty but I still wanted some strength and a good bond. When I capped my boat, I used the WestSystems stuff but try as I might, I had these little tiny little pinholes (prolly worked air into the epoxy while I was applying it) and I didnt want to just rely on standard body filler so I tried the 407. It sanded so nice that I ended up skimming the seam one more time around the entire boat and then sanded it. The finished product turned out so much better than I expected and to date, there isn't one crack.

If you need a really smooth surface for something (without the super strength needs) the 407 stuff is the shizit!
    Thanks for the Info. Ive got the strength (for my personal Application) but yeah a smooth finish is what Im going to be shooting for... this looks like what I am looking for...
    (IE: the finish top coat of the speaker holes I am filling, its ready for a filler on one side. The back has been built up and is very very strong at this point.
    Ive not picked out what type or brand yet. Think I found it now. Great Info thank you...

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information