DSI Top
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 77 GT Boats Resurrection

77 GT Boats Resurrection

1977 GT Boats Resurrection

Let me introduce myself.
    Way back in the dark ages, 1979, I was attending the local J.C. trying to figure out what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Some people might say that I never did figure that out. I caught Hot Boat fever and the only way I could afford to cure the fever was to build one. I stumbled across GT boats in Pacheco, CA and found my boating Mecca. They had a hull lying in the grass. The gel coat on the bubble had a brownish tinge and spider web surface cracks. Reluctantly, they sold the hull and a used tandem axel trailer to me for about a grand, or close to it. I was now the proud owner of an 18 ft, bubble deck, semi-v, river racer hull and a rusty trailer. Now what? I had been hanging out with some friends who were into v-drive drag racing. They of course gave me a bad time about even considering a bubble squirter instead of a real boat. Through them, I was given 3-4 BBC in various stages of failure. From those engines, I was able to build a 402 BBC. Through another friend I bought a new Berkeley 12JC-A-H pump directly from the factory which was 15 miles from home. I made my motor mounts and found a set of used Glen Wood water jacketed exhaust manifolds and OT pipes. I layed out to cut the holes in the hull to mount the Jet and chickened out. I just could not do it. I was able to get the guys at GT to mount the pump for me. I can’t remember how much they charged, but it was worth it. FYI, my layout was correct. I mounted a 40 gallon belly tank and started shopping around for some seats. About that time, another friend’s boat sank. I bought his seats, go peddle and some other parts he had. So after about a year has passed, we are ready to put this Rat Rod in the water. The boat topped out at 100 mph, in the driveway. The boat ran like a scalded dog in the water. It sure loved that UNOCAL premium leaded gas. I ran that boat in the Sacramento Delta and Lake Berryessa in Napa. I never did clock the boat; GPS wasn’t around for us citizens to use yet. Fast forward to 1989. I decided it was time to get the boat and trailer painted and freshen it up. I tore it down and got the hull off of the trailer. I had a buddy paint the trailer with black Imron. I was on a roll, the engine was opened up and looked great, new gaskets and ready to install. Then life changed. I fell in love and got married, bought a house that needed a full remodel, had a kid, moved across the country and the boat sat until now. We live on the other side of the country and decided to buy some property on the river. When you go to the river, you have got to have a boat. She said, you need to put your boat together so we can use it next summer.

Life is good for those who are patient.

So here we are, resurrecting a 1977 GT Boats Hot Rod boat.

I registered on this site and have read a lot of your posts and am looking forward to sharing and learning how to best get this boat back in the water.

SAM in L.A., that’s Lower Alabama.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77 GT.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	7343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77 GT 001.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	7344

Just call me "Infidel" Site Admin David's Avatar

Re: 77 GT Boats Resurrection

Nice to meet you Sam in L.A.!!! LOL
    That is a great history of your ride!!
    Might I recommend you start an Album in the Gallery to start posting pics to?
    If you need help with this you can check out these videos, the Gallery is a great tool here I think.
    Nationwide Insurance Agent www.DavidSantanaInsurance.com Office: 916-429-4741
    Fax: 916-467-4499 Cell: 916-517-9325 Email: santad2@nationwide.com

Welcome to the site Sam. I love hearing another jet boat saved! look forward to more pics and adventures!
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

Yesterday, my son and one of his friends helped me get the boat off of the trailer.

It is now on blocks, supported at the outside corners of the transom and the keel at the point that it goes from straight to curved.

From what I have read, this is how the hull should be supported when installing new, full length, stringers. (last photo at bottom of page)

Am I on the right track? I appreciate your input.

There are a couple of areas in the hull where the glass is a yellow/white color.

Again, from what I have read, these areas are showing an incomplete bond and should be ground out and new glass layered in.

I would appreciate your comments and coaching so I do these repairs correctly.

77GT

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat Overhaul 00129.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	7345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat Overhaul 00229.jpg 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	7346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat Overhaul 00729.jpg 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	7347

Publknme

I bet that badass 5 gallon bucket pump shoots a mean roost.....

Quote Originally Posted by Publknme link=topic=440.msg3569#msg3569 date=1293659259
    I bet that badass 5 gallon bucket pump shoots a mean roost.....
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Quote Originally Posted by 77GT link=topic=440.msg3566#msg3566 date=1293655224
    Yesterday, my son and one of his friends helped me get the boat off of the trailer.

It is now on blocks, supported at the outside corners of the transom and the keel at the point that it goes from straight to curved.

From what I have read, this is how the hull should be supported when installing new, full length, stringers. (last photo at bottom of page)

Am I on the right track? I appreciate your input.

There are a couple of areas in the hull where the glass is a yellow/white color.

sounds like you have your bases covered , keep up the pics
    Again, from what I have read, these areas are showing an incomplete bond and should be ground out and new glass layered in.

I would appreciate your comments and coaching so I do these repairs correctly.

77GT

The bucket keeps the dogs and cats from getting in when I have it covered up.

WASP
    aka:77GT

I have a BB gun for that!!! >:D

My 308 makes such a mess. Perhaps I should get a BB gun.
    WASP
    aka:77GT

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information