DSI Top
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintaining Panther Pumps

Maintaining Panther Pumps

Many of you may not have a Panther Service or Repair Manuel. This is what Panther recomends to keep your pump operating smoothly.

1. Check the oil in the pump. By unscrewing the dipstick located near the front bearing cap(inside the boat) This should be done before every outing. Be sure and observe the color as well if it is whitish grey, or very thick, this an indication of other problems. If you need to add oil, use only #90 or #80-90 gear oil.

2. Lube the grease fitting in the exit housing of the drive. Use only quality brand name Marine grease, and only use a hand held grease gun. Air powered grease guns can pop the sand seal out of the housing. I have found that a couple quick pumps, before a weekend outing is plenty.

3. Lube the grease fitting on the u-joints that connect your drive to the engine. these only require some grease about every 20 hours of operation. If you hear a knocking at idle, this is a very good indication that your u-joints need grease, or are worn and need replacing.

4. Always just before launching, be sure and take a look where the pump intake grate is, and make sure it is free of debris. a badly vibrating engine or what may seem like a slipping clutch is a sure sign somthing is blocking the flow of water into the pump.

5. If there is water or oil leaking from either one of the 2 weep holes near the front of the pump, this a sign of other problems that I will address in troubleshooting section.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

Just call me "Infidel" Site Admin David's Avatar

Re: Maintaining Panther Pumps

Hey on that gear oil?
    How much does it hold?
    When it's low, is there a standard amount to add?
    Should it be changed? When? How?

Thanks for taking this on! This is going to be a huge support section I'm sure!
    Nationwide Insurance Agent www.DavidSantanaInsurance.com Office: 916-429-4741
    Fax: 916-467-4499 Cell: 916-517-9325 Email: santad2@nationwide.com

The Panther Drives only hold about 3 ounces of gear oil! Try not to over fill the oil cavity either, this will cause the tapered bearings to operate at a higher temperature. Also there is a small cavity milled in to the top area of the resevoir that allows air to circulate the oil to both bearings, as well as kool the oil when the pump is spinning. The recomended oil change interval is once a season, or any time the oil becomes dirty (or contaminated from water) The only way to change the Oil is suck it out the dipstick hole. One inexpensive method is with a turkey baster and short piece of hose. Another is with a hand held vacuum pump.

Just call me "Infidel" Site Admin David's Avatar

Sweet!!! Thanks man!!
    Nationwide Insurance Agent www.DavidSantanaInsurance.com Office: 916-429-4741
    Fax: 916-467-4499 Cell: 916-517-9325 Email: santad2@nationwide.com

Looks like I'll be changing an oil seal between Memorial weekend and the 4th of July. It keeps the sun-tan lotion from getting to the fuses.

Seriously, so what's the straight scoop on changing the front oil seal... the Panther manual says in one place that it requires total dissassembly of the drive, and elsewhere to only pull the drive and remove the bearing cap. Which is it?

Preferably, it sure looks like a guy could do it with the drive installed by pulling the motor. So on second thought, don't give it to me straight really, just tell me I'm right.

I've read some real stories about unscewing the drive from one of the cables and such.
    Oh for cryin out loud... the boat's name is Princess! Are you happy now?

In your Hull, with your recent engine R&R practice. Its easier to move the motor far enough forward so your drive line clears the shaft. Be sure to use a little white grease on the seal lip, where it goes over the shaft. before replacing the seal though, make sure the shaft doesn't have any side to side play.

Quote Originally Posted by 78_Tahiti link=topic=140.msg8259#msg8259 date=1306045041
    In your Hull, with your recent engine R&R practice. Its easier to move the motor far enough forward so your drive line clears the shaft. Be sure to use a little white grease on the seal lip, where it goes over the shaft. before replacing the seal though, make sure the shaft doesn't have any side to side play.
    That's wonderful news. But I could use a little more info... Are talking about removing the bearing cap or just picking out the seal and carefully putting a new one in with the cap in place?

you can do it either way. Prolly be easier & faster to take the cap off. If you haven't allready. You will have an oppurtunity to take a look at the tabbed washer the keeps the nut in place behind the cap.just remove the 4 3/8" bolts from the end cap, tap it a little side to side. when you reinstall the cap, be sure and take note of the 2 vent holes in it! one up and one down, they play an important role in letting you know when your pump is taking a dump!

Very good... Once again, thanks for the info Steve. Will definitely make note the vent hole orientation. You know... having you around is like having a caddy or somethin, except I'm not using a nine iron to get those four bolts loose I don't care what you say.

From what I read in the manual, while in there, I should replace the cap O-ring too. Kindof a no- brainer, but is there anything else I should consider ordering? What might the washer tell me?

I will place an order this week. I haven't taken anything out yet. I am going to do it between Memorial and The 4th of July (which will be our next trip). The leak is troublesome so far, but I think we can run it this weekend just fine as long as it doesn't get worse. I ran it for a couple minutes this morning with no detectable drip. And it doesn't leak at all while sitting.

Its a shame to dirty things up at all after just cleaning it up so much. Got some oil spill kit towels to work with though. We can handle it :)

I think you'll do fine. 2 ways to kill a Panther, let it run out of gear oil, or dont grease the zerk in the tail housing! I always give my pump a couple shots of grease in the Tail & check the gear oil level & color before every day on the water! But then again I had an issue with my pump once that was a learning lesson. Do those 2 things and many years of pleasure can be had with a Panther!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information