Southwind Boats 916-600-6938

Thread: New to jets, just bought first jet boat

New to jets, just bought first jet boat

Hi! New here and new to jet boats. Iíve owned a few outboards, last one was a Dorsett Eldorado that I restored. I just bought a 1967 jet from a now gone company from Redding Ca. called Plastics Unlimited, bought it from the owner of the companies son. The boat has a Galaxy logo on the side that appears came from a ford galaxy. It has a 364 Buick Nailhead with a Berkeley pump, both engine and pump are in great shape and Iíve enjoyed six trips to the lake in it. Took some time to get used to how a jet handles, scared myself a few times!
    The boat is in excellent condition, still has original upholstery thatís in nice shape. Always stored inside. Floor is solid and thereís not a crack to be found anywhere on the hull. It started out with a purple metal flake but top was painted orange some years ago. Itís been polished a lot and paint is getting to thin to polish again so Iíd like to repaint just the top. Iím a pretty good painter, painted a couple trucks in my day that turned out very nice. Not to much experience painting fiberglass. Iíd like to get rid of the minor ripples on the bow and surrounding areas and was wondering if a thin layer of body filler would work? I doubt it would need any more than a 16thĒ of filler anywhere but Iím concerned even that thin if Iíll have any issues with it flexing, cracking or popping off. Any suggestions or precautions I should take?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B07AFCB2-8DA2-48A7-BE3B-0896E29D01D9.jpeg  

2. The following user Likes Airspeed's post:

Re: New to jets, just bought first jet boat

Another pic, behind my 72 GMC K1500
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09E27350-F457-4562-A43D-DD9DEA8B917D.jpeg  

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Very cool man! The gel under the paint might still be in very good shape and a little time with the sander and buffer might get her back to original without a spray gun! Its worth a try anyway welcome to the madness
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

NUTTZ

very unique rig.. cleanup the trailer and keep it original.
    Never Drive Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly.

Two words......PLACE DIVERTER!!
    Last edited by T8er S.; 08-30-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: sweet rigs

Iíve got to work on the trailer, it has torsion suspension, steel coils at each tire and one of the coils is broken. The trailer was built buy the guy who built the boat, they used way to much steel, itís really heavy! It trails nice but itís tough to load, thereís no way I can drive the boat on it, have to pull it on with a rope. Iím going to try and simplify it but need to figure out how to get the boat off and drag trailer to my shop to cut and weld it! Thought about dropping it in the lake by my house but donít want to leave the boat alone for the day. Iíve offered to buy a case of beer to a few to sit and guard it for the day but no takers!

8. The following user Likes Airspeed's post:

I thought about that but after looking at the price I think Iím happy with itís performance as is. It planes pretty quick and does 45/50 which is fast enough for me! I have a rebuilt Chevy 350 as a backup, just started looking for mounts and exhaust, want to have it ready if the present 364 Buick Nailhead ever gives up! The Nailhead came out of 59 Buick that caught fire when it was new, the guy who built the boat saved the engine in his shop so itís only been run in the car for a few months until he put it in this boat. No clue how many hours are on it.

OLD SCHOOL KEWL:-):-):-)
    FIVE HUNDRED AND FORTY FIVE CUBIC INCHES BABY
    I
    t's a budget build, the grocery budget.

Thread Information