Thread: 455 over heating

455 over heating

First trip of the summer, Launched the boat, idled 1/4 mile to the houseboat and noticed she was getting hot. Temp gauge only said 180, but she was definitely getting hot, then dieseled when shut off. No visible signs of inlet obstructions, thermostat checked and working. While on the lake I tested short periods of idling with the pump gate valve open and closed... the issue remained. Am I correct in thinking the pump gate valve should be wide open? This is a through transom wet logs. Any ideas what to check next?
    It doesn't really matter whether you win or lose...
    as long as you look good doing it.

Re: 455 over heating

Quote Originally Posted by Kona Kandi View Post
    First trip of the summer, Launched the boat, idled 1/4 mile to the houseboat and noticed she was getting hot. Temp gauge only said 180, but she was definitely getting hot, then dieseled when shut off. No visible signs of inlet obstructions, thermostat checked and working. While on the lake I tested short periods of idling with the pump gate valve open and closed... the issue remained. Am I correct in thinking the pump gate valve should be wide open? This is a through transom wet logs. Any ideas what to check next?
    Yes the gate valve should be wide open, Did you check to see if maybe you got something in your pump?
    Last edited by T8er S.; 07-01-2019 at 04:16 PM. Reason: icee

I will pull the cover and check.

Sounds like an obstruction in the pump. You can always unhook the hose and blow air backwards to clear it. I once had a small piece of outdoor carpet plug mine. It was stuck right at the cooling inlet inside the pump.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9624636F-7DBE-4910-A2C4-01C9A989E4C9.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	20197When I uncoupled the water inlet hose while still on the lake, I had plenty of water flowing in. I think the valve was partially closed and restricted the flow. There does not appear to be any water in the oil. I will check the clean out today, and perhaps replace all of the water lines just to be safe.

6. The following user Likes Kona Kandi's post:

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Another thing to check is sand and or sediment in the block passages! Notorious for filling up and then hardening eventually. See if your cooling water dump looks like it normally does when engine is idling or pull the drain plugs on the block and poke a screw driver, wire, whatever will fit and see if its clogged up.
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

8. The following user Likes "THE ADVOCATE"'s post:

Thread Information