DSI Top
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil restricters. when and where

Oil restricters. when and where

My bbc acts like its pumping the pan dry....has like 11 quarts in there.
    Has crazy high oil pressure when cold....like 80 lbs at idle.
    Asked on fb and one guy asked if I had solid roller cam....I do.
    He said his did the exact same thing before oil restrictors.
    Then Ted posted an article stating with a solid roller cam it will suck the sump dry without restrictors.
    I was able to google up a pic of the restrictor itself.....but have no clue where they go.
    Maybe my old motor had em and I just didnt know it....had a solid roller there and the same pan.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	restrictors.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	19864

Re: Oil restricters. when and where

They go in place of the rear oil plugs, the ones that feed the lifters.

EDIT: Also found this post from 9 years ago in a google search: https://www.performanceboats.com/gn7...-when-why.html

Last edited by Chad89GT; 07-26-2018 at 02:05 PM.
    A jet boat project is like dating a hot chick who doesn't put out.
    Alaska Hawaii, Shipping Here Is Terrible!" (AH, $hit Club)

Pretty funny......I google-fu'd up that same thread about an hour ago. Sounds like the general consensus there was shouldnt need any.
    I am still confused on how and where. They were talking about the plugs behind the flexplate.
    Just take those out and screw in the restrictors?? I have crower hippo lifters......I wonder if that would be hard on em.
    I think most solid lifters and oil fed like the hippos. I gotta try something.....dont wanna add any more oil.
    Does anyone know if you can physically see aerated oil.

I just hung up with crower....they said oil restrictors with there hippo lifters are a no go.
    Roger/Sleek was saying if they didnt line up the oil holes in the block with the cam bearings it could cause what I am seeing.
    I cant remember his explanation. I am gonna try and find my build sheet tonight and figure out what oil pump I have.
    I may need to swap it out for on that has less pressure/volume.
    Bbc guys.....what pump should I be running.
    I know its a mellings..... I am pretty sure they make more than one bbc pump.

I don’t know exactly what pump I have. But pressures are never below 80 and usually closer to 100. I’m not having any of the issues you’ve described. That being said, there are so many variables here. Good luck sorting it out.

"Pumping the pan dry" with a large capacity pan is typically a drain-back issue. Do you have screens in the lifter valley that could be clogged up? Is there a "trap door" in your pan that might not be operating correctly? I could go on but you get the idea :)

https://www.facebook.com/jarred.whit...2847634762930/ Not sure if that vid/link is gonna work for you guys or not.
    No screens in the lifter valley.....pan has 2 trap doors. Pressure doesnt fade at rpms until the motor is warmed up.
    Guess I will pull the pan this winter and check the pick up clearance again.....the trap doors....and maybe try a new oil pump.

It's normal for pressure to drop as everything heats up. The oil thins and the engine expands which lets the oil flow more easily. How much fade are we talking here? Is it purely temperature related?

My thinking is... if it's the pan being sucked dry the pressure would return fairly soon after getting off the throttle. If it's heat related and pressure doesn't return until the engine cools then you're probably looking at the early stages of wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad89GT View Post
    It's normal for pressure to drop as everything heats up. The oil thins and the engine expands which lets the oil flow more easily. How much fade are we talking here? Is it purely temperature related?

My thinking is... if it's the pan being sucked dry the pressure would return fairly soon after getting off the throttle. If it's heat related and pressure doesn't return until the engine cools then you're probably looking at the early stages of wear.
    I am guessing the link to the vid in post 7 isnt working for you guys.
    Thats exactly what it appears to be happening......about one second after I get out of it it pops right back up.
    Cold it idles at 80 lbs....warm is closer to 40.
    Motor probably only has 10 or 15 hours on it.

IMHO warm and 40 is a bit high. It's "OK" but not necessary. Once the rest of this oiling issue is worked out you might consider a lower weight multi-viscosity oil.

I'm a little confused... so when you're making a run how low does oil pressure drop?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information