Thread: Cracked hull repair cost?

Cracked hull repair cost?

I have a crack about a foot long in the bottomof my 16í Jet. I believe I am taking on a little water from the crack too. Any idea on the approximate cost to repair and bottom paint the boat? I may do the repair myself but Iím think the floor has to come up, or at least have an access hole cut in it to lay fiberglass in the inside. . If a marina would do the repair for say $1000 bucks I would just pay for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	532F96C3-9764-466F-8811-0FCB0F2D1B01.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	19860

Re: Cracked hull repair cost?

I have no idea of cost to repair, but judging from the way that is cracked. You have a serious structural issue going on. Tear the floor out and figure out what is really going on there. Maybe the picture makes it appear larger than it is.

Itís def a pretty serious crack, I can push on it with my hand and open it up a bit, the hull is pretty flexible there. Thatís why Iím thinking it really needs a large area of fiberglass matting put in behind it. Sucks because Iíve had this boat for about 3 months and I think this crack was there when I bought it but just noticed it, I know Iíve never hit anything with the boat.

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Just bring it around for a couple estimates maybe, but that's an ouchy one for sure! Do you know who sold you the boat? I really don't advocate going after sellers but that might be borderline negligent if they sold it as sea worthy. If the transom and stringers are rotted out the jet pump PUSHING the boat can really be catastrophic.
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

Transom and stringers seems to be solid but I will take a closer look. It’s only a small block boat but it does make some power. The boat runs flawless and looks good so I would hate to find out it’s a major problem, but at the same time I can’t justify dumping a lot of money into a boat worth $3-4k. I’m gonna stop by a couple repair shops this Friday and see what they say. The guy I bought I from only owned it for a year and seemed to be pretty straight forward so it’s hard to say if I got ripped off or not. Eithier way it’s a 35 year old boat so I don’t think it would be fair to go after him for it.
    Last edited by Jons999; 07-17-2018 at 07:07 AM.

6. The following user Likes Jons999's post:

Update: dropped it off at a local mom and pop boat repair shop. They’re gonna cut the floor and repair the fiberglass Inside and out for $500 bucks so we’ll see how it turns out.
    Last edited by Jons999; 07-20-2018 at 04:16 PM.

8. The following 2 users Like Jons999's post:

We will be interested to see what kind of “can of worms” lies unde the floor. Keep us posted, $500 is a steal if they fix it correctly.

10. The following user Likes wardjr's post:

Thread Information