DSI Top
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sleekcraft aristocrat

NUTTZ

Re: Sleekcraft aristocrat

you had me wondering when you said diesel. tons of torque and power but they come up short on RPM range. with tons of money and a trans then maybe.
    Never Drive Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly.

yeah currently the boat is set up for a 454 and thats what im looking to put in it. when i bought the boat it came with water cooled headers, flywheel, bell housing, and the motor mounts so im currently on the search for one that is reasonably priced. i did look into the diesel swap but it seems like it would be a fair amount of custom parts to make it happen. How would these boats do with that much weight coming from the the big block to a diesel.

just out of curiosity if i used a small diesel like the ecodiesel from the rams they can turn 4500ish rpms, they are compact and about the same weight if not lighter than the 454. what all would it take to make that happen?
    Last edited by Pnaples92; 07-23-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Full custom mounts, a closed cooling system, exhast, I would imagine an ECM, custom drive line, dual batteries, maybe some hull mods to fit oil pan. Other than that should be easy? The 454 will fit a 10qt pan easy, the diesel IDK?
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

4. The following user Likes "THE ADVOCATE"'s post:

thats what i figured so it will be a while before i try that.

NUTTZ

I have a boat that had a V12 Allison aircraft engine and v drive in it. the stringers are 2x10 and made to handle the weight but I can't bring myself to put a diesel in it yet but I have kicked it around.
    Never Drive Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly.

7. The following user Likes Sleek Freak's post:

I would love to do it but since this is my first boat that Iím restoring Iíve realized that there is a lot more to boats than what I thought I knew. They are easier to restore than a car but metal is, in my mind a lot easier to repair than fiberglass should I miss cut something. If I take on another boat after this one or if i somehow destroy the block in this boat I think Iím going to go for a diesel next

That would be interesting to see.
    It doesn't really matter whether you win or lose...
    as long as you look good doing it.

can anyone give some advice on cutting this floor out. I have removed the passenger side seat where the rot was coming from a cut a hole in the floor to see the depth that i cut and it looks like i have to leave the end 2" or so on the boat because it was laid down on top of the hull. Is there way to get that out more safely than setting a circular saw just a little above the hull? Im only asking as i do not want to deal with me cutting the hull at all.

I have looked at the youtube videos but most of those seem to be on bass boats or center console boats and the other advice was dont cut more than 3/4" down but the floor has fiberglass on both sides of it and the circular saw i have the guard is kind of sketchy it doesn't like the stay in place all to well

Quote Originally Posted by Pnaples92 View Post
    can anyone give some advice on cutting this floor out. I have removed the passenger side seat where the rot was coming from a cut a hole in the floor to see the depth that i cut and it looks like i have to leave the end 2" or so on the boat because it was laid down on top of the hull. Is there way to get that out more safely than setting a circular saw just a little above the hull? Im only asking as i do not want to deal with me cutting the hull at all.

I have looked at the youtube videos but most of those seem to be on bass boats or center console boats and the other advice was dont cut more than 3/4" down but the floor has fiberglass on both sides of it and the circular saw i have the guard is kind of sketchy it doesn't like the stay in place all to well
    We used a 4" electric grinder to grind the fiberglass off the edges of the floor. Here's a thread chronicling the experience. Still not done but getting close! http://www.vintagejetboats.com/showt...Subfloor-Rot-(
    A jet boat project is like dating a hot chick who doesn't put out.
    Alaska Hawaii, Shipping Here Is Terrible!" (AH, $hit Club)

Get as close as you are comfortable with a saw. Then grind your way to the hull. I prefer a 4” air grinder/sander with a 50 grit disc. Any way you cut it, the process sucks. Pun intended.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information