Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter problems Ford 460

Starter problems Ford 460

I have a 460 in my 77 sleekcraft executive and reciently replaced my starter to a pmgr starter ccw rotation, from db electrical. I have the berkeley bellhousing top mount starter hole for starter.
    i installed starter and when I turn key it catches flywheel 1st crank but nothing after that it just spins but it also is very loud like a grinding noise so I take it off and teeth look fine reinstall and same thing connects to flywheel 1st time but any cranking after that it only spins again very loud as it spins and cranks. Should I try a shim?

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Re: Starter problems Ford 460

My first guess would be something with the new starter. Is the gear travelling freely back and forth?
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

3. The following user Likes "THE ADVOCATE"'s post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corbin5754 View Post
    I have a 460 in my 77 sleekcraft executive and reciently replaced my starter to a pmgr starter ccw rotation, from db electrical. I have the berkeley bellhousing top mount starter hole for starter.
    i installed starter and when I turn key it catches flywheel 1st crank but nothing after that it just spins but it also is very loud like a grinding noise so I take it off and teeth look fine reinstall and same thing connects to flywheel 1st time but any cranking after that it only spins again very loud as it spins and cranks. Should I try a shim?
    Hi there,
    I personally have used DBE for yrs, but I’ve only had 1 go bad. Same exacting symptoms. It’s the solenoid inside the bendix getting stuck. If you have the box(hopefully) you can return it. It’s warranted for 1 yr, and will take good care of you. Make sure you specifically tell them your starter configuration as it a reverse rotation on the top mount BBF. Keep us post if this is successful too? Dean.
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

5. The following user Likes AG6's post:

Quote Originally Posted by AG6 View Post
    Hi there,
    I personally have used DBE for yrs, but Iíve only had 1 go bad. Same exacting symptoms. Itís the solenoid inside the bendix getting stuck. If you have the box(hopefully) you can return it. Itís warranted for 1 yr, and will take good care of you. Make sure you specifically tell them your starter configuration as it a reverse rotation on the top mount BBF. Keep us post if this is successful too? Dean.
    Thanks guys i sent them a message about the starter Iíll keep you updated. The part # for starter I got was 3200ccw are you familiar with that starter

Sounds good to me...
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

Quote Originally Posted by AG6 View Post
    Hi there,
    I personally have used DBE for yrs, but Iíve only had 1 go bad. Same exacting symptoms. Itís the solenoid inside the bendix getting stuck. If you have the box(hopefully) you can return it. Itís warranted for 1 yr, and will take good care of you. Make sure you specifically tell them your starter configuration as it a reverse rotation on the top mount BBF. Keep us post if this is successful too? Dean.
    I called them and they didnít really give me a explanation as to why it didnít work for my application. They said something about the teeth 10 my original has 9 idk if thatís the reason or not they told me I should return pmgr starter and get a one of there regular marinestarterspart # 3140. The starter I had been using that went bad has part #d4af11131

My original starter d4af11131 says itís a cw starter it being a top mount doesnít it have to be a ccw starter could previous owner possibly rebuilt starter to a ccw?

Super Mod

If its top mount it has to spin counter rotation, the previous owner or owners could have done lots of stuff that will always remain a mystery. Part of the fun I guess! LOL

11. The following user Likes "THE ADVOCATE"'s post:

Quote Originally Posted by "THE ADVOCATE" View Post
    If its top mount it has to spin counter rotation, the previous owner or owners could have done lots of stuff that will always remain a mystery. Part of the fun I guess! LOL
    I still canít seem to find any info on a correct starter for my setup I called berkeley and they gave me a couple part #s from cpperformance but there $269 and Iím just looking for a oem starter for now.

Super Mod

Since you are looking for a marine starter they all cost $250. Bring your core to any generator shop, show them a pic of the boat and that it needs to be reverse rotation. If they don't hook you up they are gay and go to another shop, should be a $60 dollar rebuild and if not $150 new unit. Make sure its banded, don't know what the bands do but they make the coast guard happy

14. The following user Likes "THE ADVOCATE"'s post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information