DSI Top
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford 460 Help

Ford 460 Help

Hey guys/gals!

I am new at Jet boats and still learning. Thanks in advance for any help. Conversely if anyone in my area of central NJ needs help PM me. I love helping and I learn hands on.

I am putting together a Ford 460 on my '77 Cee Bee and the last owner gave me all of the motor mounts and such. The rear mount is a Glenwood. On the rear of that it gives part numbers for the flywheel and the starter. I bought those items. Problem is, when I go to put together the flexplate and the mount, it appears the flexplate is too big.

I should mention that the part number Glenwood gives is for a "flywheel" (C6AZ6375B) but when looking up part number, I was directed to a flexplate. Got that from Rock Auto.

I am assuming the flexplate or flywheel would be the same size and that it should fit inside the indent of the rear mount.

I searched the issue on Google but seems like I am the only one porking this up so I don't know what I did wrong.

Also the 1310 PTO with the H-Joint and Crankshaft holes don't line up. I tried calling Glenwood but they never pick up. I can take pics soon.

Re: Ford 460 Help

here is a good read about the 460 starters. as long as it is NOT a top mount starter.
    http://www.460ford.com/forum/37-engi...ter-460-a.html . there should be a part number on the PTO.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	460 Setup Rear Mount.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	19703Click image for larger version. 

Name:	460 Rear Mount setup 2.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	19704

It appears these line up, but not to the existing crank. Which was a Fuel Injected, so I don't know if that would be different. The PTO is a 1250. Starter doesn't line up either. Hits the Flexplate. Flexplate is 15 1/2 end to end. Looked that up, same as Flywheel. I'm very confused. Thank you for the starter link, that was good reading.

4. The following user Likes Local99's post:

If the 460 was fuel injected, it has an externally balanced crank (assuming it is original). If that flexplate has no weights, it is for an internally balanced crank.
    I replaced my external balance flexplate with a SCAT SFI rated flexplate part #FP-460-SFI.
    Nothing special about them for marine use, a stock, OEM FP will work fine too.
    '78 Glastron/Carlson CV23 - 429/Berkeley; '64 Ford Falcon 'vert; '04 Saab 95 Aero
    Bradley GTE Electric; '99 Tahoe, 2000 Big Dog Bulldog

Quote Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
    If the 460 was fuel injected, it has an externally balanced crank (assuming it is original). If that flexplate has no weights, it is for an internally balanced crank.
    I replaced my external balance flexplate with a SCAT SFI rated flexplate part #FP-460-SFI.
    Nothing special about them for marine use, a stock, OEM FP will work fine too.
    Give Tom or Josh a call at Jet Boat Performance, real nice & helpful folks.....

Just spoke with Tom. He told me to text him pictures and part numbers so he can match up what I need. He mentioned a spacer, so that may be the issue. Never saw one in my searches. He has some, so great place to start. He is also going to make sure the Internal/External balance is correct. However since it is going to be a complete rebuild, I am going to get a balanced setup and do a stroker build. Thanks!

8. The following 2 users Like Local99's post:

The flex plate that you've pictured is for an externally balanced set up (note the weight welded on) and needs to be used in conjunction with the 'hatchet weight' that's located behind the front balancer. From what I remember, all the flex plates are the same diameter, flywheels not so much, there are 2 different diameters for the flywheels. When it comes to the crank bolt pattern they're all the same, no variances. Are you saying that the cardan joint adapter bolt pattern doesn't match the crank and flex plate bolt pattern? I've never run into that before. Even the FE cranks have the same bolt pattern as the 390 flywheels will fit the 460's... You got me scratchin' my head on this one lol.
    Rob
    Last edited by White Lightning; 02-12-2018 at 06:46 AM.
    Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
    "Alaska Hawaii, Shipping Here Is Terrible!" (AH, $hit Club)

10. The following user Likes White Lightning's post:

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
    Are you saying that the cardan joint adapter bolt pattern doesn't match the crank and flex plate bolt pattern? I've never run into that before. Even the FE cranks have the same bolt pattern as the 390 flywheels will fit the 460's... You got me scratchin' my head on this one lol.
    Rob
    that PTO may be diesel Ford?
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

Quote Originally Posted by 78_Tahiti View Post
    that PTO may be diesel Ford?

About the only experience that I have with Ford diesels is with the power stroke engines...and I'm pretty sure that they take the 460 flex plates. I helped a buddy change one out on his work truck. I think that the best way to find out is get a center to center measurement and google it....
    Rob
    Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
    "Alaska Hawaii, Shipping Here Is Terrible!" (AH, $hit Club)

13. The following user Likes White Lightning's post:

Right?! PTO Matches the flexplate, neither match the crank bolt pattern

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information