DSI Top

Thread: Thermostat?

76SLEEKCRAFT STREAKER dave flynn's Avatar

Thermostat?

Having my 460 built to a Marine Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engcover2.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	19672Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OPENENGCOV.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	19673528cid Stroker by Barnett racing. With the jet drive providing cooling to the motor so do you run a thermostat like you would in auto application ? These pic fr earlier last year motor at Barnett now so I'm doing research. With this much money invested please explain proper cooling. Thanks so much. Sleekcraft Streaker

Re: Thermostat?

I have this 4 port bypass setup on one of my boats . It keeps the engine in the 160 deg range all the time even in 34deg water .
    http://www.performancejet.com/cooling.html

scroll down the ford stuff is at the bottom part of the page. My not work with the big hei distributor.

A pressure release valve is very important , The ford 460 does not like a lot of cooling system pressure . I like to keep it under 13 psi .
    Last edited by 76 marlin dolphin; 01-19-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    76 Marlin Dolphin AMC 401 panther h450
    77 Marlin Dolphin Ford 460 panther g450

3. The following 2 users Like 76 marlin dolphin's post:

On any given day of boating my oil temps will be 210 ish....my water temp wont move off rock bottom unless at a long idle. IMO water temp is almost irrelevant. If I did add a thermostat it would drive my oil temps higher than desired. This debate has probably been discussed/argued more than any other single topic. No thermostat for this guy.

5. The following 3 users Like H20MOFO's post:

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

No thermostat in my BBF, no way. Like Kreg said oil temp is the factor. Optimum is around 180 to 210
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

7. The following user Likes "THE ADVOCATE"'s post:

Old Blue has a thermostat and it runs 155 water temp and 210 oil temp cruzing for hours. After10-20 minutes at 4700 RPM (all in with AA) the water is 160ish oil is 230ish. Idle is 155 water oil 185ish. Great luck with mine. Johnf

I don't run one on the current BBF, but did run one on my last jet (454) and it worked great. Just make sure you use a system designed for the application.
    '78 Glastron/Carlson CV23 - 429/Berkeley; '64 Ford Falcon 'vert; '04 Saab 95 Aero
    Bradley GTE Electric; '99 Tahoe, 2000 Big Dog Bulldog

10. The following user Likes 429CV23's post:

The reason to run a thermostat, or not. Is going to depend on what the assembled clearances in the Build are. Cold block build (no t-stat) large main and rod clearances, larger bore clearances for ring and piston growth. thicker viscosity oil, The rotating components and oil get rid of most the engines heat. Oil cooler and larger oil pan recommended. Warm block build, run thinner oil, tighter clearances, marine bypass thermostat, regulate cooling system pressure. this type is also more prone to detonation, watch your compression and timing.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

I ran my ford powered boat without a thermostat for a while . But I was always messing with the gate valve .
    The stock panther 460 has a devider in the water neck and you can't fit a t stat .
    I milled out the housing and fit a 160 deg. T stat with two 0.1875" holes drilled in it for some flow all the time .
    76 Marlin Dolphin AMC 401 panther h450
    77 Marlin Dolphin Ford 460 panther g450

13. The following user Likes 76 marlin dolphin's post:

Thread Information