DSI Top

Thread: Still Porposing

76SLEEKCRAFT STREAKER dave flynn's Avatar

Still Porposing

Rebuilt drive with great help from Rick at CP. Changed from JC with jetovater to current set up. Definitely feel more thrust getting out of hole. But still porpuses the same. Roost looks a bit better with diverter but hard to tell cannot keep nossle up long enough and still stay in the boat. In driveway when diverter is down I can grab with hand and is snug, When I Click Notches upward I can Move diverter up and down By hand .375 Inch easy. Is that normal and will that affect porpusing. I am taking it in at end of season to have bottom gone through to look for hook. Please with any suggestions. Thanks. I am not ever going to give up. It will get right with all your help 20 ft sleek 460 appox. 400HPClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0803.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	19518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diverter.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	911.8 KB 
ID:	19519 When riding wet with down wedge no porpose. The further bring nozzle up more and more porpose. When I ran no wedge It did porpose with nozzle down until I adjusted cable so no slop when you grab diverter. Like I said when you click nozzle upward there is up and down slop in diverter
    Last edited by dave flynn; 07-25-2017 at 05:21 PM. Reason: forgot stuff lol

Re: Still Porposing

Porpoising will be caused mostly from some bow (amongst other things) in your hull not hook. If your boat had a hook in the hull she'd ride nose low and plow through the water. Seems as though some trim tabs may be in your future. Don't panic as thes can be fairly cheap and small. I have 2 jet boats one with a fairly (now mostly fixed) hook in her ass. No trim tabs a place diverted and no matter what you do it never porpoises. The other has some bow in the ass and manual trim tabs plus ride plate mostly fixed the porpoising unless she's heavy in the rear. (Are we still talking about boats)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5179.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	19520

And yes some play in your PD is normal and in no way is causing your problems. When the water is pumping your PD is most certainly being forced one way or the other but it's not flopping up and down.

Dave,
    Most ride plates are adjustable at the mount below the bowl. If yours is a fixed mount not to worry you can place a small stack of washers between the ride plate and the mount until you lower the angle of the ride plate to creat enought tail drag to correct the proposing. You may at some point find that's why they sell these with e adjusted ride plates. Every single hull is unique to how it reacts to the water. Also, may I suggest once the desired change is accomplished, measure the angle best you can ( 2-5*) and take the ride plate off if and find a good machine shop or sheet metal shop with a "break press and have put the bend angle into the plate. This take any tension off the mount bolts and maintain the integrity and strength of the plate. You may also want to use SSTL hardware with nylock nuts too so nothing can come loose while operating it. If I can be of additional help pls just ask. I hope this will help? Dean
    Last edited by AG6; 07-26-2017 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Porpoising good for porpoises, not boats
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

76SLEEKCRAFT STREAKER dave flynn's Avatar

Thanks so much I will check into the manual trim tabs. I just want to roost with little porpoise as possible.As of now it would toss someone out of boat if I stay on hot foot. And believe me not much over stock but runs great sounds great Just want to get rid of porpoise and shoot roost.

You mean like this?

Sorry, couldn't help myself

Not all boats are gonna like the droop. Could be rocker.....could be lotsa stuff. Do you have a shoe and loader??

Hi Dave,
    Like I say, I'd try the least costly and simplistic efforts first try. Its been my experience those are usually the one with the greatest gains. At the same time, these other gentleman also have great success with there boats as well. As I previously stated, all boats react differently. I have seen 10 hulls, same model, same rigging and setup, but all have different WOT speeds, handling and economy. They're boats, not identical clones. Although I am glad for that, as it would be boring. Good luck and keep us all in the loop. Dean.
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

Thread Information