Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Olds 455 crank

Wanted: Olds 455 crank

I fried the main bearing and in search of a new crank. mine is already turned .020 under, so it's toast. let me know if you have one and the full price to ship it to Minnesota.

Re: Wanted: Olds 455 crank

thanks for the replay. but looks like those cranks are already ground. and not knowing what they are ground to. i would like a good untouched crank incase i run into this problem down the road. but this is plan B i guess.

Everything else I found was for strokers at 3 times the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by SacsTC View Post
    Everything else I found was for strokers at 3 times the cost.
    I may have a lead on a virgin crankset, but he's checking it first. I will PM I have knowledge of one.
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

After sleeping on it for acouple days, i'm on the fence if i wanna stick with the olds or go ford. i'm a ford guy at heart. but i stuck with olds cuz i already had everything for it. and i've just been accumulating more and more things for olds. i have access to acouple 460's for cheap. and i already have a set of exhaust manifolds for one. if i did this, i would sell all my stuff i have for the 455. and parts are more common with the 460. so what do you guys think. should i pull the trigger and go for power. i know you GM guys will try to talk me out of it for sure. lol

I am neither a Ford or Chevy guy. I stuck with my Olds in the name of keeping it original. I can guarantee you it'll be cheaper and a lot less headache to go 454 or 460 in the long run. My 455 is back in the shop for the third time and although my builder is footing the bill, I'm not on the water. I believe third time will be the charm and I'll stick with the Olds.
    My take away is this.
    No matter how much I love the thump of the 455, it'll never run as strong and smooth as my 454. I will always be nervously watching the gauges and praying it holds together. With my 454 I can drop the hammer and it effortlessly and happily spools up to 5k. The Olds on the other hand will do the same but it's never going to be happy about it.

So if my vote counts, go with a 460 as I'm sure it's going to be better than anything the Olds could ever hope of being. Plus it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by wardjr View Post
    I am neither a Ford or Chevy guy. I stuck with my Olds in the name of keeping it original. I can guarantee you it'll be cheaper and a lot less headache to go 454 or 460 in the long run. My 455 is back in the shop for the third time and although my builder is footing the bill, I'm not on the water. I believe third time will be the charm and I'll stick with the Olds.
    My take away is this.
    No matter how much I love the thump of the 455, it'll never run as strong and smooth as my 454. I will always be nervously watching the gauges and praying it holds together. With my 454 I can drop the hammer and it effortlessly and happily spools up to 5k. The Olds on the other hand will do the same but it's never going to be happy about it.

So if my vote counts, go with a 460 as I'm sure it's going to be better than anything the Olds could ever hope of being. Plus it'll be cheaper in the long run.
    of coarse your vote counts. everyone's does. so do you need any olds parts for your build? i don't have any pictures with me, but i'll have some by this weekend hopefully. after talking with my brother who also has a 460. i might pull the trigger. he's already trying to talk me into building a 534 C.I. but i might wait until winter for that. i just wanna get it back on the water for the rest of the season.

Unfortunately I do not need any parts. Hopefully we will have it up and running again by this weekend.

Well, for what its worth I myself would go with a SCB, and a 383 HO Stroker kit. Pound for pound, you cannot beat it. I have had 2. Both were 440 Hp 450 ft lbs torque. Single High rise Dual plane and a 800 CFM w/mechanical secondaries. I never had an issue with overheating or milkshakes bottom end. I did put a Crane cams Mutha Thumper in one, but it did not like it at all. Used the same cams in both. What I am saying is you can get a lot of Hp out those SBC if you do it correctly and do not cheap out in the build. The added weight of BBF or BBC isnt my deal. And if you want to really go big, you can also Slap on a 6/71 or 8-71 blower, and still squeez it out without scattering the thing in the lake or taking out a second on the house. Just my .02 cents. Dean.
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information