Southwind Boats 916-600-6938

Thread: New Friend For the Jet

New Friend For the Jet

4th of July weekend there were many large boats on the water, creating some much larger than normal swells. We hit the crest of one, came down in the trough HARD, hardest hit I think I've felt in a boat. Jacked up my wife's neck, my neck and lower back had muscle spasms for a couple days after. My wife says she loves boating but won't go out in the jet again.
    So I bought a "family" boat. 1987 Mach I, Saturn II, 19' with a 230hp Chevy 305/OMC Cobra drive. One owner!! Was covered & garaged its entire life. The only downside is the trailer is single axle, but has all the mounting holes if I want to add a 2nd. Lights and brakes actually work! New tires too. Already ordered a Battery Doctor isolator, battery tray, subwoofer (Rockville - basically identical to the Pyle 10" Hydra), 3-gang switch panel for LED cockpit lighting, 2 USB/volt meter to replace one of the rocker switches so we can charge phones and such as well as monitoring the house battery 😁. I had already ordered a new media player stereo for the jetboat, but that will go into this one. Just need to order a pair of speakers. Already used about 3/4 bottle of Meguire's vinyl protectant on it. 😊 Has hidden bimini storage, and a cool teak pop-up table that stores in the engine cover. Pics are prior to vinyl treatment, looks even better now. All the gauges work including the trim gauge. Nothing to do but adjust the carb for elevation (picked it up in Gunnison, Co), change the oil, oil the teak, throw away all the ropes the PO had in it and enjoy it. 😁😁😁 Picked it up for $4200!!.
    Surprisingly she is OK with me keeping the jet and the jetskis!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170710_113144_HDR sm.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	790.9 KB 
ID:	19509

Name:	20170710_113226_HDR sm.jpg 
Size:	807.1 KB 
ID:	19510

Name:	20170710_113220_HDR sm.jpg 
Size:	666.9 KB 
ID:	19511

Name:	20170710_113237_HDR sm.jpg 
Size:	707.6 KB 
ID:	19512

Name:	20170710_113232_HDR sm.jpg 
Size:	586.4 KB 
ID:	19513
    '78 Glastron/Carlson CV23 - 429/Berkeley; '64 Ford Falcon 'vert; '04 Saab 95 Aero
    Bradley GTE Electric; '99 Tahoe, 2000 Big Dog Bulldog

2. The following user Likes 429CV23's post:

Re: New Friend For the Jet

We've had her out a few times and she is pretty solid. I swapped out the SS 16P prop for a new Turning Point 21P Hustler. She was still down on power, something just wasn't right. Took her out aftr work Wed and checked the timing. 31* at 750RPM! I've not heard any detonation so I figured maybe the breaker plate was stuck, the weights or springs were stuck or corroded, etc.
    Pulled the cap today and everything in the dizzy looks brand new and works as it should. Seriously, looks like it just came off the showroom floor.
    I adjusted the timing to 13*, then checked at ~4000RPM; TA is about 35*. I've read some of the Cheby engines like up to 40*, but I'll stick with 35* for now. We'll be splashing her Sunday, I have high hopes she'll run much better!
    '78 Glastron/Carlson CV23 - 429/Berkeley; '64 Ford Falcon 'vert; '04 Saab 95 Aero

4. The following user Likes 429CV23's post:

Quote Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
    We've had her out a few times and she is pretty solid. I swapped out the SS 16P prop for a new Turning Point 21P Hustler. She was still down on power, something just wasn't right. Took her out aftr work Wed and checked the timing. 31* at 750RPM! I've not heard any detonation so I figured maybe the breaker plate was stuck, the weights or springs were stuck or corroded, etc.
    Pulled the cap today and everything in the dizzy looks brand new and works as it should. Seriously, looks like it just came off the showroom floor.
    I adjusted the timing to 13*, then checked at ~4000RPM; TA is about 35*. I've read some of the Cheby engines like up to 40*, but I'll stick with 35* for now. We'll be splashing her Sunday, I have high hopes she'll run much better!
    The amount of physical timing lead depends on the burn rate of that particular cylinders' combustion chamber shape, amount of quench swirl, piston crown shape, rod length, crank stroke (piston dwell time at TDC and BDC, rod ratio etc.) fuel used and RPM. The target burn rate is to have peak cylinder pressure at about 8* after TDC (I think, can't remember what the exact # is at the moment.....getting old sucks lol). So, the optimum lead for your engine depends totally on what head and piston type you have. Hemispherical shaped chambers burn slower than wedge shaped chambers and need more lead time in order to reach peak cylinder pressure at the correct time, some newer wedge chambers have a higher swirl rate (quench swirl..."fast burn chambers") and require less lead. So you see, it's not one timing requirement for SBC's fits all SBC's. Spark plug placement in the chamber makes a large difference in the burn rate also (angle plug heads want less lead than straight plug heads). If it were me, I'd look up what lead time is suggested for your application and stick to it......melted pistons/bent rods are no fun at all.....I can tell you from experience lol.
    Rob
    Last edited by White Lightning; 09-12-2017 at 09:21 AM.
    Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
    "Alaska Hawaii, Shipping Here Is Terrible!" (AH, $hit Club)

Thanks Rob!
    The book shows 9* at idle, about 30* TA.
    She gained about 500rpm and 5mph after the timing adjustment. I think the Turning Point prop tool was optimistic, should have gone with a 19P. I'll put the 16P SS prop back on for this weekend.

For all its worth, you may want to try an 18"P SSTL 4 blade Michigan Wheel 'Apollo' series with that set up, or even a Solas SSTL 4 blade 19"P too. I never thought I'd say this as Solas is made in Taiwan, but they are very high quality Alum and SSTL both. They are priced very competitive as well, and can be had very inexpensively on Amazon/eBay alike. Usually about $135. For Alum 4 blade 19"P and roughly $325. For a SSTL 19"P Michigan wheels are good as well, harder to find a selection and a bit more pricey. When I left Mercury a few months back, I still had a few extras single props, but were up in the 21-23 P. Mostly my props are now sets (L/R) for twins in my Biesemeyer including a set of Solas 14.5x19"P 4 blade aluminum as back up props, i keep on board, for tow sports/skiing, and shallow water stuff. Alum is way cheaper to replace than SSTL. Hope all this helps? Dean.
    Last edited by AG6; 09-12-2017 at 09:08 PM. Reason: matched sets for the twins@@
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

Thanks Dean! It came with an OMC/Johnson 16P SS prop. I put that back on for this weekend, just to verify the engine will pull into the mid 4000's.
    Don't 4-blades usually yield more stern lift? That might help too as long as the bow stays up too.

Got a new prop for the Hypersport 48 too. Prather S270; 2.74" 4.2P SS, balanced and sharpened. Cost almost as much as the 21P Turning Point.

Not usually an issue with singles. If You have a multi engine setup, it can become a factor, depending on the shape of the ear/ type of the blades, and direction. A lot has to do with length of the hull, how close the Prop centers are to each other, the infamous 'X' dimension on the transom, RPM speed of the props and several other factors. BUt typically, if the port drive is turning left(CCW) and the starboard (CW) it will 'usually cause bow rise, and in reverse fashion Port (CW) and STBD (CCW) will cause tail or transom lift. Again, a lot of factors play into this. One of the huge advantages to something like a Bravo III drive is the twin counter-rotating props cancel out torque steer, and creates a straight tracking and lift of the transom while increasing an amazing amount of efficiency in fuel economy and handling. But on the down side to the Bravo 3 is the cost of props (2 to a set) are about $800 for a set!! After markets are less of course. That is why I suggested the prop I did. If you can afford a little more $$ in a prop, You may want to call Ron Hill Propellers in Santa Ana, Ca. They are some of the finest props I have ever used, and they will work with you to get your prop issue resolved. On my Cruisers, I had a 365 Hp motor with 405 Ft lbs of torque, and ended up running a 15.5" dia. X 17" P 5blade SSTL. that hull was very heavy at 4450 lbs for a 23 ft OAL. But, it shot up on plane at lightning fast pace. Top speed was only 53 MPH, not bad for a heavy boat. I also have a Piranha 3 blade that would take that same boat to 64MPH but at a slower pace. Props are a funny thing, sometimes they just do not work well on some hulls. Best advice I can offer, is ask other boat shops/owners with simular setup. Or give me a shout. I see if I can help. Dean.
    Last edited by AG6; 09-18-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Props, Jets, all in the name of FUN!!!
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

Thread Information