Southwind Boats 916-600-6938

Thread: HEADERS

76SLEEKCRAFT STREAKER dave flynn's Avatar

HEADERS

I would like to put headers in place of my 3 inch exhaust to increase HP and sound. Too loud is never too loud. My engine cover is very close to exhaust now. Could you recommend headers that would work in this situation? Would I still use the 3 inch rubber exhaust tubes to route through the transom? What is the term (LOGS)? Is there a difference in water cooled and water injected and is it a difficult transformation? Thanks so much. Dave Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPENGCOVER.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	19419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OPENENGCOV.png 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	19420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engcover2.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	19421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engcover.png 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	19422
    Last edited by dave flynn; 05-02-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Re: HEADERS

The exhaust "manifolds" you have are the best for 460 closed engine application. Logs and snails are marine speak for manifolds. Headers are just like on a car, open exhaust from the heads. Headers are never reckomended for any boat with an engine hatch, even water injected through the primaries they get way to hot and cause a fire hazard. Even 4" through transom headers would be a no go with the engine hatch, just because they will fit does not make it a good idea unless you want to BBQ lunch from the water over your float. If you have an unlimited budget you can get Lightning water jacketed manifolds that will give a little more tone and a little more hp but at a very steep price. I will post up some pics of xampls
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

Super Mod

Left to right traditional water jacket logs and snails, center yours, left stainless tt (through transom) headers. This an old post but some good info is in it! 78Tahiti hard piped your manifolds out of stainless, looks great!

Super Mod

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4752.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	19423 Even without a "sun deck" the women will still appreciate the luxury of hanging out on the bow. And you get bazookas hanging out in back!

If you're not too worried about money, you can go with these in an enclosed compartment. They're jacketed so they're cool enough to keep under a hatch.

http://lightningheaders.com/headers-fresh.htm
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

I'd agree with Wolfie on this one. Thousands of performance boats like the offshore boats run single wall tubes headers with water injection at the collectors with no issues. Now I will say if this is the route you take, I'd strongly recommend a couple of 10" radiator fans to evacuate/exhaust the engine bay. You need to remove that heat. Not because of the fiberglass, but to remove the ambient temps to prevent vapor lock on fuel lines. Mercury does not recommend anything over 190* F for an enclosed engine compartment. You can also use a remote pyrometers connected to a lazer temp reader. Just a few thoughts for you. Dean.
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

Thread Information