DSI Top
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy lookin' for Suben pic & info.

New Guy lookin' for Suben pic & info.

Greeting all,

Just registered and I have to admit that I don't own a jet, vintage or otherwise, and I'm not really a vintage boat aficionado. However, my Dad does and is, and I'm really trying to make this connection for him. He has a Suben Marine '69 or '70, the very last boat built. Gold metal flake, black trim, seats and carpet, Berkley pump, 455 marine Olds. It probably doesn't have more an 100 hours on it and it's always been garaged. He's almost 80 now and I'm trying to find out if there are any of these old boats still around, and trying to find pics on them if I can, and also any individual history of any boats that still exist. At his age, it probably won't be too many years till I'll inherit this one, and it's kind of special because he is one of co-owners/builders of Suben (along with Jerry Sutton). If anyone has pics or knows who has and can put me in touch, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bret Bengard
    (the "ben" in Suben)

2. The following user Likes Beartrack's post:

Re: New Guy lookin' for Suben pic & info.

welcome to the fray Bret! I have heard the name "Suben Boats" but dont recall any pics. Does your Dad still have any documentation at all? Owners manual, or brochure? We would love to add it to the collection. Give it a little time, we have a very diverse group of members.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

NUTTZ

maybe double check the spelling? I can't find anything on it. post a few pictures when you can.

I can check to see if he has any brochures left, but its been a long time. He has the old hull mold sitting behind his place in the sagebrush. Spelling is right. Sutton and Bengard is Suben (they could have called it "BenSu" i guess but it would've sounded like a brand of kitchen knives). It's just that they didn't build that many; I don't think there were more than a dozen and maybe not that. Jerry Sutton and my dad were both aerospace engineers for McDonald Dougless attached to the Apollo program. They both happened to share a love of boats. Jerry liked to run high speed on the river, with all it's twists and turns. My dad was an avid water-skier who liked to pull hard from side to side (and he was big, 200 lbs +). Both of them wanted a hull design that wouldn't "skid", as high speed turns and hard pulling skiers could do to any hull that was being made in the early-mid '60s, so they designed and built their own. It was more of a family ski boat than a pure performance boat. Covered engines and wet pipes were the norm. They had a building in Sacramento industrial area (or at least it was in the late '60s), not far from where the speedway used to be. When Apollo ended, my dad moved to northern CA and I think Jerry stayed with McDonald Dougless and transferred to the plant in SoCal. Suben only lasted maybe 5-7 years, at most (and maybe less). Like I said, I'm sure they built less than a dozen, so I was just hoping to find someone that actually had one of these old boats, pics, history on individual boats, etc.

This sounds like a job for OldRigger!!!
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

7. The following user Likes wolfie's post:

I think maybe it was Sutphen Powerboats from the south florida area. I think they may have moved at some point like all the others boat builders from 188th St (Magnum, Donzi, Formula, Scarab-(not to be confused with WellCraft) and of course Cigarette Racing, to mention a few. Here is a '74 18ft jet boat, look anything like what your referring too?...Dean
    https://goo.gl/images/wh8Y37
    Last edited by AG6; 03-08-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Official Dead FishHead winner 2017......
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

My dad had a suben!!!!!i cant find ANYTHING online for that boat. It was built with a chevy big block engine inboard motor (well i believe it was a "jet" cause there was no prop that i remember and the engine was in the boat). it had a closed bow. the front seat was one long bench seat and behind that was another bench seat. The engine was covered in the middle with two small seats on the left and right in the back. loved the gas pedal!

My brothertried to fix this up and ended up getting rid of it =(
    Last edited by SubenFAN; 04-25-2019 at 03:59 PM.

if i find any pictures ill post for you. but i tell you what if i could find that boat again i would buy it in an instant! my family loved skiing on this boat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_2253143011409687.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	574.2 KB 
ID:	20129

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_2377643525632874.jpeg 
Views:	1 
Size:	450.2 KB 
ID:	20130

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information