Southwind Boats 916-600-6938
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: air-tona

Re: air-tona

Quote Originally Posted by H20MOFO View Post
    I may end up taking a hole saw to the bow/deck. I am hoping I can get by without it. Frickin weather....I think last night was the most snow I have ever seen since I moved to Heber .
    Attachment 19269
    if you do decide to open the deck and need a custom sized cover with radiused corners and maybe some engraving please let me help if I can? Dean.
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

Engraved SSTL Mufflers I make.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0321.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	19278
    Last edited by AG6; 02-26-2017 at 04:36 PM. Reason: And YES Jason hates 'em, but I still love ya Bro!!
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *

3. The following user Likes AG6's post:

Quote Originally Posted by AG6 View Post
    if you do decide to open the deck and need a custom sized cover with radiused corners and maybe some engraving please let me help if I can? Dean.
    Thanks. The more I look the more I am seeing what looks like shattered glass. And a discomforting amount of bondo.lol
    I might put up some pics tomorrow from work.

5. The following user Likes H20MOFO's post:

Quote Originally Posted by H20MOFO View Post
    Thanks. The more I look the more I am seeing what looks like shattered glass. And a discomforting amount of bondo.lol
    I might put up some pics tomorrow from work.
    I had a surfboard I restored about 20 yrs. ago, I needed a perfect match from left side, so I used striped of window tint film and layer the glass over the Mylar and then trimmed what I needed. It actually came out better than I hoped. I know there is an alcohol based mold release film your can spray over the deck of a good mold, say like Roger's 'Tona, and pull a section and the lay up a repair patch. Not sure if this will help or not? (Sorry Roger for volunteering your hull), but there has to be a Daytona near by to get a copy from? If not I know of a few salvage yards here in Florida, worst case section in a nose deck? Let me know if I can help. Maybe Bill at Southwind might have some ideas?
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *

7. The following user Likes AG6's post:

Quote Originally Posted by AG6 View Post
    I had a surfboard I restored about 20 yrs. ago, I needed a perfect match from left side, so I used striped of window tint film and layer the glass over the Mylar and then trimmed what I needed. It actually came out better than I hoped. I know there is an alcohol based mold release film your can spray over the deck of a good mold, say like Roger's 'Tona, and pull a section and the lay up a repair patch. Not sure if this will help or not? (Sorry Roger for volunteering your hull), but there has to be a Daytona near by to get a copy from? If not I know of a few salvage yards here in Florida, worst case section in a nose deck? Let me know if I can help. Maybe Bill at Southwind might have some ideas?
    Ya know....I think I am gonna put that plan to work. I still have half of a good bow.lol Just got back from the fiberglass place.
    I am in hopes of making some progress this weekend...weather permitting.

Name:	3d.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	913.6 KB 
ID:	19288

9. The following 3 users Like H20MOFO's post:

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

60deg Saturday! More snow sunday... :(
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

NUTTZ

how much open surface area do you have to patch?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleek Freak View Post
    how much open surface area do you have to patch?
    I will try and get some pics edited in....the bulk of it is about 14" wide and about 6 or so deep.
    Some of the glass where the bottom transitions to the sponson looks shattered.
    I am gonna try and put some glass on the inside of that first....and then grind out enough that I can add a few layers of cloth over it. There is another smaller shattered spot by the bow eye.
    I hope today to get some heave woven cloth formed to the bow....then I am going to attempt to glass that inside the hole to give me something to build glass off of thats the right shape.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patch1.JPG 
Size:	809.9 KB 
ID:	19292

Name:	patch1.JPG 
Size:	809.9 KB 
ID:	19292gonna be interesting to see if this sets up...its about 50 in my garage right now....and this catalyzed to about 1.5 percent. The light should do the trick...I hope.
    Last edited by H20MOFO; 03-03-2017 at 02:38 PM.

13. The following 2 users Like H20MOFO's post:

just a quick note, with Mylar, use a heat gun for decal removal, (definitely not the wife, daughters, neighbors hair dryer!!
    You'll need high heat that you can move close towards the shape to get the wrinkles out and quickly away. As it cools, it'll shrink up and conform. Just take your time and go slow with the heat, or you'll blow through the film. If its too chilly, wait for another day. Or start a fire next to the pail of resin, its sure to heat things up, then, and when you collect the insurance money, you'll have cash for a new boat! See, forward thinking.... uh, i think??
    Last edited by AG6; 03-03-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Scary Jedi mind trick, very scared....
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *

NUTTZ

you may need a flood type work light. if you heat it to fast it may spider crack.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information