Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: air-tona

Re: air-tona

Its probably a little tough to see whats going on. In the first set of pics...the rt one if you look close you can see where I have ground out a v to the left of the hole....that piece is broke and needs to come out.
    The little peninsula between the 2 holes is still fairly solid. I decided I better put the grinder away until I get a plan.
    The crack in the sponson is concerning for sure.
    I think I am sort of putting an idea together. Think I am gonna leave the peninsula piece in...remove the triangular piece to the left.
    Prep the inside best I can. Put tin foil over the peninsula looking piece so glass wont stick to it. Then try and set some heavy woven matt inside the hole ...if that makes sense.
    I wont be able to cover the entire hole....but that should give me something to glass to...get started.
    Then I will take the grinder and get rid of the peninsula. The front of my boat was all broken up when I got it....I capped it about 5 years ago.
    As far as wrapping glass up and around the nose....I figured out 5 years ago duck tape and tinfoil were my best friend. lol
    I am bored at work....maybe I will look for a pic.
    Here is a before and after pic of the bow when I capped it....guess it was masking tape.lol
    My transom was cut out when i bought this boat....I had to glass a few things. My poor boat was born an I/O, the guy I bought it from was going full wacker, and now its a jet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cap1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	19266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOW2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	19267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cap3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	19268
    Last edited by H20MOFO; 02-21-2017 at 02:11 PM.

2. The following user Likes H20MOFO's post:

Thanks for the suggestions btw. This weather is killin me......think its mid 60's today..and back to the 30's by the weekend.
    I read somewhere that fiberglass doesnt like high humidity while curing...sooo that makes my forced air/propane a no go.
    I have pent enough time around that to know what it does. I gave a gas fired infrared dealio. Does any one know if thats bad.
    I guess I could fire it up over night and look for humidity of the windows in the morning.

I have an idea, make a template with a crayon and paper, cut a hole ton the other sponson, get 50+ feet of dryer hose and call it "forced 'air' induction"....NO? Ok sorry
    :-{ just trying to lighten the mood. No go on the access cover suggestion huh? Dean.
    Last edited by AG6; 02-26-2017 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Being sarcastic again :-{
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

Quote Originally Posted by AG6 View Post
    I have an idea, make a template with a crayon and paper, cut a hole ton the other sponson, get 50+ feet of dryer hose and call it "forced it induction"....NO? Ok sorry
    :-{ just trying to lighten the mood. No go on the access cover suggestion huh? Dean.
    I may end up taking a hole saw to the bow/deck. I am hoping I can get by without it. Frickin weather....I think last night was the most snow I have ever seen since I moved to Heber .

Name:	crap2-22.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	755.6 KB 
ID:	19269

Quote Originally Posted by SacsTC View Post
    I'm no expert in this, but looking at the first pic, it would appear to be a fairly good size hole in the right front along with the sponson crack. Even if you have to enlarge the main hole just a bit, could you take a piece of this stuff shown by Chad89gt? http://www.gurit.com/Our-Business/Co...rit-Corecell-M
    Use this to make a form that will fit inside against the remaining hull and then glass over it? Is there room to get 2 x 4 from driver/pass area to hold the corcell in place while glue dries? Got to be a way get something in there, (even in pieces) to create the shape to glass over...
    FWIW, if you decide to use Corecel I was advised that it needs to have 2 layers of 'glass over each side to have any sort of structural rigidity. It's VERY easy to work with and can be rough shaped with the score-n-snap method and shaped precisely with a rasp. It's also somewhat flexible but I've never tried to 'glass a curve into it.

Good luck with the repairs. You're a braver man than I.
    A jet boat project is like dating a hot chick who doesn't put out.
    Alaska Hawaii, Shipping Here Is Terrible!" (AH, $hit Club)

Quote Originally Posted by Chad89GT View Post
    FWIW, if you decide to use Corecel I was advised that it needs to have 2 layers of 'glass over each side to have any sort of structural rigidity. It's VERY easy to work with and can be rough shaped with the score-n-snap method and shaped precisely with a rasp. It's also somewhat flexible but I've never tried to 'glass a curve into it.

Good luck with the repairs. You're a braver man than I.
    Thanks....I dont know how brave I am.....but I NEED my boat.lol Not that any one probably cares but I took a pic of the corner on my way to work that wrecked my junk.
    The I80 closure this morning sent me down provo canyon to worky. I was heading the opposite direction...and traffic was stoped in the opposite lane aprox where the car in front of me is.
    Some how I ended up folded up like a taco off the right shoulder(left in this pic)

Name:	corner.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	733.9 KB 
ID:	19270

8. The following user Likes H20MOFO's post:

It was the use as a shape that I was talking about. I did not know that it had to have 2 layers of glass over all of it for any type of structural value. Depending on cost, and it sounds like corecell is quite expensive to use just as a template to lay glass on, you could just go to a major box store and buy some blue dense freezer foam and serve the same purpose. Easy to shape and inexpensive to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by SacsTC View Post
    It was the use as a shape that I was talking about. I did not know that it had to have 2 layers of glass over all of it for any type of structural value. Depending on cost, and it sounds like corecell is quite expensive to use just as a template to lay glass on, you could just go to a major box store and buy some blue dense freezer foam and serve the same purpose. Easy to shape and inexpensive to buy.
    Gotcha. Here in Hawaii where shipping is everything the bulky 4x8 sheet was around $150 IIRC. I'd assume it'd be at least 30% cheaper there. Like you said, probably not the most budget friendly :-)
    A jet boat project is like dating a hot chick who doesn't put out.
    Alaska Hawaii, Shipping Here Is Terrible!" (AH, $hit Club)

Open bow?
    Last edited by T8er S.; 02-23-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: give us all rides at once

FYI blue or pink foam from the Big box store will simply melt in contact with polyester resin. The good news is polyurethane foam is compatible. The bad news is the only Big box store polyurethane foam is the stuff with foil on it. I have used this with very good results by simply removing the foil. Is sands and shapes very easily but the foil removal process can be a PITA. Celetex brand is better for this than the other brands in that the underlying foam has less bubbles and deformations than other brands.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information