DSI Top
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on SWTD hulls

NUTTZ

Re: Opinion on SWTD hulls

sounds like the boat may have a state assigned HIN # either way if the HIN matches the paperwork you should be good.
    Tunnels suck and I would never own one!!
    Last edited by Sleek Freak; 01-21-2017 at 09:09 PM.

2. The following user Likes Sleek Freak's post:

I saw a yellow one of those tunnels skidding down the freeway once in Sulphur, LA once chasing after a Dodge Durango.
    It had to be fast it cause it caught up to the Dodge and then just spun out...
    I once heard you needed a license to drive a tunnel, but not a car?? Roger, is this true??
    Last edited by AG6; 02-14-2017 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Tunnel are FAST, but so are old Ladys in Sulphur....
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

Not sure who all had the molds for them. There were some laid up in Texas in the '70s and of course in So Cal until '81 or '82. Bill can give you more info on that.
    Not sure that Sonny Leonard had anything to do with them though.
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

I think Bill still has the molds, but no one wants to pay around 7000 for just a hull.
    He has one complete, just hull...sitting in his shop that he offered to rig and sell me for somewhere in the 15000 range last year. We almost had him do it, but now that we are grandparents, the wifes good sense prevailed. We bought a 20.5 Carrera instead and had Bill go through it for us.
    https://scontent.fsnc1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...5f&oe=59065D4D
    In this photo, you can see part of the hull in the upper right of the pic. The white one with yellow.

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

You know, that's a tough question. If I was custom building would I go Placer, SWTD, or Gullwinger. That's for a tunnel hull. $7000k for brand new un rigged hull vs. gambling $5,000 to $10,000 on resto hull. I spent a lot a lot on an all white resto semi vee just so it would get done one day. And I think it might be over horsed now.....
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-Bill M new engine-001.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	19194

Bill just completed re-rigging Defiant, his personal SWTD. I was really wanting to see it in the water at CFW on New Years, but no go. Here's a pic of the new BBC he put in it.
    Last edited by SacsTC; 01-25-2017 at 08:08 PM.

8. The following user Likes SacsTC's post:

Quote Originally Posted by SacsTC View Post
    I think Bill still has the molds, but no one wants to pay around 7000 for just a hull.
    He has one complete, just hull...sitting in his shop that he offered to rig and sell me for somewhere in the 15000 range last year. We almost had him do it, but now that we are grandparents, the wifes good sense prevailed. We bought a 20.5 Carrera instead and had Bill go through it for us.
    In this photo, you can see part of the hull in the upper right of the pic. The white one with yellow.
    funny picture. That's Doug's center steer SWTD upside down in the foreground, of that picture. The SWTD are still one of the most desireable hulls, besides maybe a Daytona, if your looking for a fast, nice riding hull. Your just a little limited on space, inside.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

Quote Originally Posted by SacsTC View Post
    There's a lot of rumors about where the molds are for the SWTD. Last I heard, Bill had them. Also heard that they were lost in a fire... You know how rumors are.
    ****Disclaimer - I'm far from being an expert so you may want a second opinion!****

I'll try to call Bill today. See what he says about the molds. He told me he had thought about making more hulls, but that he can't get anyone to pay for them. Says it would cost at least $6500 to build one off hulls.
    The white one with yellow in the pic I posted has never been rigged. He quoted me a price rigged, but it was not the type of boat my wife and I needed for family use. It's still there in the shop or at least it was just 3 days before New Years. Haven't been over to see him since then.
    If anyone is actually interested, they should call him.

What picture are you looking at Steve ???? Dougs Southwind has been done and out of here for about three years now !!! That motor picture is when I was building it last fall . It is in the boat now , everything is hooked up just have to change the nozzels for alchol & fire it up. Come by sometime !!! The price for a new blank is $12,000 not $7,000, hard cost is more than that !!
    Southwind Hot Boats - All your "Hot Boat" needs in one place!
    Engine, Jets, V-Drives, etc.. Rancho Cordova, CA 916-600-6938

13. The following user Likes southwind's post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information