DSI Top

Thread: Trumpet removal

Trumpet removal

Well I am installing an nos set of Glenwood logs on my 455. I have the snails off to polish, and thought why stop there, why not rechrome the trumpets. I have unbolted them, but they will not break lose. Anyone have any experience with removing these things?
    It doesn't really matter whether you win or lose...
    as long as you look good doing it.

Re: Trumpet removal

my guess would be, if you have never taken them off before, they're probably siliconed to the transom. i know mine were and they were a pain to get off. luckily i didn't care about the hull to much cuz it was getting painted anyways. i would suggest to use a razor blade and work it under neath without trying to scratch up the hull. but thats just me.

A block of wood and BFH (big *******hammer) from the inside got mine out. The bad news was the studs were garbage and broke flush while trying to replace them. I could have drilled and tapped new studs but new trumpets just aren't that expensive.
    Good Luck

I suppose I will try the razor blade approach, then move up to the hammer method.

Thanks
    It doesn't really matter whether you win or lose...
    as long as you look good doing it.

I like to use a heat gun to get them hot seems to help it takes a little longer with a heat gun but a lot safer than a torch use a block of wood and then tap them out

6. The following 2 users Like laddiepowell's post:

Thread Information