Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CVX-20 Motor, Pump, Interior, and Paint

Re: CVX-20 Motor, Pump, Interior, and Paint

Alright, I'll consider the cost of a 10 qt pan (I'm seeing in the $400-500 range) and might cross that bridge when/if I rebuild the engine. For now, I think i'll leave her be - it's survived with a 5 qt. pan since 1979, right?
    That, and I just ran compression tests on all 8 cylinders. Engine hanging from chain hoist, all spark plugs out, throttle wedged wide open. I did all 8 twice, once yesterday and once today, reversing the order the 2nd time just for fun. Numbers were all within 5 psi of yesterday's test - below are the averages:

Cylinder 1:112 psi
    Cylinder 2:117 psi
    Cylinder 3:116 psi
    Cylinder 4:114 psi

Cylinder 5:111 psi
    Cylinder 6:115 psi
    Cylinder 7:112 psi
    Cylinder 8:108 psi

I don't know off-hand what the numbers should be, My altitude is about 500' and the pressure today is 30.01 inches of mercury (not sure if that makes a lick o' difference). Anyway, they're all within 9% of each other, that's not too bad for an old worn out engine. The price estimates I was getting from the shop I mentioned here are just way too steep to justify a rebuild right now.

I do need to replace a few freeze plugs that look suspect, and one of them (a little guy in the front of the head) is rusted thru and puffing exhaust onto my alternator. So I'll probably just buy the kit and replace all of them. I found a few kits on summit racing, ebay, and amazon - I want to make sure I get them all and some reviews said the kits weren't complete. Any recommendations in that department?
    Last edited by kstarr; 07-11-2016 at 06:59 AM.

Can't get the impeller nut off. All I could find locally was an adjustable wrench that maxes out at 1-13/16"... wooo perfect size for the nut. Which is frozen. Completely. I'm surprised I didn't lose any knuckles or shin bones. It's been getting applications of PB B'laster a couple times a day... no joy. I think I'm gonna need an impact wrench and some kinda frankensocket big enough to go over the shaft. Also, I've up(down?)graded to using wood to wedge the impeller... was afraid of bending the leading edges of the aluminum impeller. Anyone have any other magical tricks?

Last edited by T8er S.; 07-11-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: helpings

Quote Originally Posted by T8er S. View Post
    I agree with T8er....Get the correct tools for the job. I bought my tools years ago and it sure makes life easier! Get a big air impact gun and have at it. Put the drive shaft back on the pump yoke and use an extension, big screw driver, etc to lock her in place....May have to heat the nut up...Its probably steel and rusted on....Replace it with an Alum nut....I also bought a hyd press from Harbour Freight for less then 100.00 so I could press the thrust bearing off and on.....

5. The following 3 users Like GA JET SR's post:

alright, alright. saw those rental tools last week (somehow didn't see the buy option) and i just didn't wanna thrown down on them. but you've convinced me, they're ordered and should be here by saturday.

switching gears a little while the jet pump is on hold - i spoke to the fiberglass/paint shop near me, looks like they have some time towards the end of next week, so i'm going to keep pulling parts off the boat and get it ready to be sanded and painted. part of me wants to stay period-correct and go with metal flake, but i also want some accent lines. i really liked Bruce Johnson's paint job (i thought the bow stripe was a little awkward though). i'm tempted to go with a white base and yellow or green accents, as i think some of those lines on the engine lid need to be highlighted. also gonna do away with the teak slats (all mine are faded, cracked, and one is split and warping away from its other half) and have them spray a grip surface onto the swim deck.

while that's happening, i'll be designing some custom ducts for the in and out air vents. not sure what was stock, but mine are just 3" white flex tubing draped in the storage compartments, zip-tied together, one is duct taped to the wall, the flanges are missing screws, the tubes are completely cracked/split in some areas - it needs redoing, and i'm savvy enough with computers, i'll be designing ducts with custom turns to follow the walls and under the overhangs, which will help reclaim some storage area. then maybe i'll get them 3D printed... if the cost isn't ridiculous.

i'll post some pics of the gel tonight, the areas under the vents and grab rails are amazingly silver compared to my current oxidized green.

7. The following user Likes kstarr's post:

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

Quote Originally Posted by THE ADVOCATE";103456][URL="http://s420.photobucket.com/user/GT_160/media/GT_160006/DSC_0002_zpsqdupgyp4.jpg.html
    [/URL]
    That picture looks familiar lol .

Quote Originally Posted by kstarr View Post
    alright, alright. saw those rental tools last week (somehow didn't see the buy option) and i just didn't wanna thrown down on them. but you've convinced me, they're ordered and should be here by saturday.

switching gears a little while the jet pump is on hold - i spoke to the fiberglass/paint shop near me, looks like they have some time towards the end of next week, so i'm going to keep pulling parts off the boat and get it ready to be sanded and painted. part of me wants to stay period-correct and go with metal flake, but i also want some accent lines. i really liked Bruce Johnson's paint job (i thought the bow stripe was a little awkward though). i'm tempted to go with a white base and yellow or green accents, as i think some of those lines on the engine lid need to be highlighted. also gonna do away with the teak slats (all mine are faded, cracked, and one is split and warping away from its other half) and have them spray a grip surface onto the swim deck.

while that's happening, i'll be designing some custom ducts for the in and out air vents. not sure what was stock, but mine are just 3" white flex tubing draped in the storage compartments, zip-tied together, one is duct taped to the wall, the flanges are missing screws, the tubes are completely cracked/split in some areas - it needs redoing, and i'm savvy enough with computers, i'll be designing ducts with custom turns to follow the walls and under the overhangs, which will help reclaim some storage area. then maybe i'll get them 3D printed... if the cost isn't ridiculous.

i'll post some pics of the gel tonight, the areas under the vents and grab rails are amazingly silver compared to my current oxidized green.
    You can make the teak slats pretty easy, believe it or not the slats that are just faded will come right back to life with not much work , Bruce did a beautiful modification to his CVX but that was also a very comprehensive job . Its your project make the way you want it , the CVX20 has a timeless look . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cvx20.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	18642

12. The following user Likes CV-21's post:

I'd be happy to help out with your 3D printing part of the project.

14. The following user Likes wardjr's post:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information