DSI Top
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CVX-20 Motor, Pump, Interior, and Paint

CVX-20 Motor, Pump, Interior, and Paint

Long time boater, 6 year Carlson owner, first time engine puller.

A little about me - I'm a 31 year old corporate pilot, currently living in Western New York, and I just got laid off. All that means is that I'm happy to finally spend some quality time at home. Oh, and that it's time to make the jet boat prettier and faster. She's a Silver (greenish now) 1979 Glastron Carlson CVX-20. I plan to rebuild the motor and the pump, modernize the interior, add a Place Diverter, redesign the gauge cluster, and get 'er painted. I have ideas and hopes for a glass windshield some day, and other little projects like re-sculpt the air vent ducting and add a not-so-modest sound system.

I'm pulling the engine myself, but I'm getting a local shop (they have 40+ years experience on V-8s, V-12s, even some V-16s) to do the rebuild. I at least need my impeller tuned up (it's got obvious chips and dings, and I've been losing speed year by year), but I'll probably buy new. The interior and paint won't be tackled for a while. Nevertheless, I'll likely have loads of questions throughout each project, and I thank anyone in advance who is kind enough to offer their wisdom and guidance.

Right now, I'm working on removing the engine, so I'll start in with that. It's a Ford 460 mated to a Berkeley 12-JE. Pretty common, I'm sure, and a pretty simple setup. Back seat and engine cover are out, wires, cables, and hoses disconnected, I've removed the clamp on the pump, and am ready to loosen the engine mounts. I saw a thread discussing this stuff but I didn't want to hijack it just to get some reiteration. What I'm concerned about is pulling the engine up/forward without loosening the pump itself. Is there enough clearance that the pump doesn't need to wiggle as the engine disconnects from the spline gear?

I'd prefer not to damage/tweak/bend anything. I understand the engine needs to move up and then forward, and I'll most likely be taking the pump off eventually, it's just not something I want to tackle today if I don't have to.

It all looks pretty basic, but it's my first time pulling a V-8 out of anything, so you can never be too cautious. Thanks guys!

Here's a pic and a vid from last year:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	228918_2078625997783_2826940_n.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	18554

Re: CVX-20 Motor, Pump, Interior, and Paint

I don't know about your set up but I just pulled mine and was able to separate the shaft between the U-joints by removing 4 bolts. This allowed for the motor to basically come straight up. One half of the drive shaft stayed on the pump and the other on the motor.
    Those splines don't go into the pump that far (no more than 2") so if you have the room to slide the engine forward that small amount while removing it should be fairly easy. I don't think you need to worry about accidentally moving that pump during the process. I wouldn't try this but I'd bet you could hang the entire boat minus the engine from that pump and it would not move.

There are two bolts that hold the bell housing to the jet pump, at the front of the intake. Remove these along with the motor mount bolts then slide the engine and bell housing forward. The pto is on a splined shaft......
    FIVE HUNDRED AND FORTY FIVE CUBIC INCHES BABY
    I
    t's a budget build, the grocery budget.

Hmm, but I can't get the bell housing off to see the shaft at all, that's why I'm a bit nervous to start tugging on things. I unbolted the bell housing (and the clamp on the drive) and when I went to move the housing (wasn't sure if it was removable, I know now that it is not), the whole engine rocked forward (before I loosened any the mounts). So here I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye1620 View Post
    There are two bolts that hold the bell housing to the jet pump, at the front of the intake. Remove these along with the motor mount bolts then slide the engine and bell housing forward. The pto is on a splined shaft......
    Yeah, got those two off the clamp. I guess it's ready to go then, thanks. I'll report back!

Want a quick pic my pump is on the table in front of me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	18555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	18556

Ah, I wasn't aware there was a U-Joint right there, I guess there would have to be. Thanks for the photos, I've been running around doing other things, but I'll see how it goes this afternoon.

9. The following user Likes kstarr's post:

Some of the Carlson, Engine bays are pretty tight. If you don't have quite enough room, to come forward. Just remove the crank pulley (3 bolts and a belt) that will give plenty of room for the driveline to come off the pump splines.
    Last edited by 78_Tahiti; 07-03-2016 at 10:26 AM.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

I have the same boat in need of a floor, stringers and I fear now a whole lot more....Starting to wonder how much I really like this boat these days?

Karsten

12. The following user Likes Karsten's post:

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information