Southwind Boats 916-600-6938
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 degree wedge

Re: 4 degree wedge

Forgot to mention that I also put a race grate on the water intake...just because I had one kicking around. Anyone mess with a preloader impeller? I think they use Seadoo impellers for the job. I also have a mint condition Berkeley Jet-O-Vator for sale if anyone needs one. Jeff

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Paint the loader white. Its easier to see if cracks are developing. Inspect before each use!
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

3. The following user Likes "THE ADVOCATE"'s post:

I powder painted it blue last year! Don't ask me why. It is all steel and appears in good shape when I installed it a month ago. The boat was in the water and tied to a dock for two weeks solid but I could check it now since it is back on the trailer. Is there a history of failures with these things? The standard grate is pretty much useless in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Imboatcrazy View Post
    I powder painted it blue last year! Don't ask me why. It is all steel and appears in good shape when I installed it a month ago. The boat was in the water and tied to a dock for two weeks solid but I could check it now since it is back on the trailer. Is there a history of failures with these things? The standard grate is pretty much useless in my opinion.
    I have seen pics of a couple of boats that sunk because a loader let go. I assume its because it breaks the suction housing....not sure. I found a small crack in my suction housing. Luckily one of my online boating buddies had a used one cheap....because new ones are over 8 hundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Imboatcrazy View Post
    I have some good video I'll try to post. I think the boat is still a little wet for my liking but the jetovator really helped bring the nose up. I would rather have a droop snout but will try the wedge since I have one of those. Not real clear on how to tighten the wedge bolts up without angled spacers on the bolts?

Welcome to the "healthy" addiction!! Typically the wedges are installed between the pump bowl and the nozzle. The bolts go in as usual and the holes are angle drilled when manufactured to compensate for this. Be sure to use some Locktight thread sealer (I prefer the stick) to ensure no frozen/corroded bolts or leaks. The link for this pic is the extreme for this application, but you get the idea... http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/Jo...wedge.jpg.html Let us all know if it helped or caused porposing or other adverse conditions?? Dean
    Last edited by AG6; 06-30-2016 at 05:59 PM. Reason: shoot for the moon
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

If you put in the wrong loader grate, you will actually hurt your engine performance. Match the loader grate to your estimated HP. I have a loader grate that was just thrown on my pump after having it rebuilt by a so called "expert" and it killed my power. The guy had installed a loader grate designed for minimum 500hp+ but my motor at the time bareley put out 280hp. Even my current 480hp motor wouldnt do well with it either. I went back to a stock rock grate and my boat does just fine. And are you running an actual jet-o-vator or a place diverter? There is a big difference between the two. The place diverter does have a slightly bigger rooster tail than the old school jet-o-vator. Ive had both. I would love to swap out for a split bowl though and run a rooster booster instead of the wedge, it has flanges on both ends so you dont strain the bolts like a wedge will.

Thanks Dean. The shown looks like it has a flange on each side. Mine doesn't, but I will be able to fab something up in the machine shop. Might be awhile though because I am going to pull the heads first and have them rebuilt or install aluminum after market ones. I keep fouling #2 plug and think the guides are worn. Pump needs a rebuild too.

Good info Harleynut. I will try the stock grate next time out and see what happens. The rooster booster sounds like the way to go. I have the jet-o-vator with manual control. It would be fantastic if I could get the boat into the low 60's just to keep up with the PWC's!

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

New heads, make sure you have enough carb, and check on what cut impeller for your motor/hull weight is the direction you seek! Oh, and if you are playing with the top end make sure the cam isn't worn. :) All things to do before modifying the hull!!!!
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

Here's another setup. The previous pic was a droop snoot with flanges built in. Simple wedge bolts right in. You must have a split bowl to install a wedge. Rooster boosters are different in that they re-direct the nozzle outlet upwards, purely for effect. They look cool, but I believe they have been discontinued, but don't quote me on that one? Call Berkeley or CP to verify that one. Dean.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	18547
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information