DSI Top

Thread: engine fresh water flush ??

Question engine fresh water flush ??

still new to this ride...

when hose flushing, it would seem possible for water to enter the exhaust into the cylinder if not running?? true?

my hose has a fair amount of pressure.... just thought of it yesterday, been working on motor shutting off and on while leaving hose running.

would it be better to have engine running and turn on water? ....turn off before shutting down motor?

Thanks in advance!! i appreciate the advice..

Re: engine fresh water flush ??

Quote Originally Posted by HydroHaulic View Post
    still new to this ride...

when hose flushing, it would seem possible for water to enter the exhaust into the cylinder if not running?? true?

my hose has a fair amount of pressure.... just thought of it yesterday, been working on motor shutting off and on while leaving hose running.

would it be better to have engine running and turn on water? ....turn off before shutting down motor?

Thanks in advance!! i appreciate the advice..
    yes and yes. are you disconnecting the driveline prior to running out of the water? Most pumps will only handle very short run times out of water, and low RPM's.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

is there an easy way to disconnect a Berkeley driveline?

yeah... i read up on the pump... didnt run it high rpm or very long.. just getting her sorted out... i plan on getting the pump rebuild kit soon

the pump does sound aweful out of water. but fine in when loaded... doesnt whine/rattle when running

i am used to outboards mostly so thank you for the advise.. hate to F up my motor, shes purdy

so no harm to water pump on a dry start before running flush water?

thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by HydroHaulic View Post
    is there an easy way to disconnect a Berkeley driveline?

yeah... i read up on the pump... didnt run it high rpm or very long.. just getting her sorted out... i plan on getting the pump rebuild kit soon

the pump does sound aweful out of water. but fine in when loaded... doesnt whine/rattle when running

i am used to outboards mostly so thank you for the advise.. hate to F up my motor, shes purdy

so no harm to water pump on a dry start before running flush water?

thanks again!
    When I run the engine out of water I use 2 hoses. One to the engine and one zip tied to the jet intake grate. This helps a little to keep the jet drive cool.

5. The following user Likes Redeye1620's post:

what about the motor water pump dry start?

I thought you were talking about the jet pump. Dont have a water pump with my Berkeley.
    FIVE HUNDRED AND FORTY FIVE CUBIC INCHES BABY
    I
    t's a budget build, the grocery budget.

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

General consensus is start motor than turn on hose water just for the issue you were worried about, water reversion into motor through exhaust.
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

On most jet boats the jet also feeds water to the motor so no water pump on the motor.
    Last edited by T8er S.; 06-10-2016 at 01:25 PM. Reason: there are exceptions and stuff

Run an adjustable pressure regulator set around 15 psi connected to hose or get an old bilge pump, put it in a 5 gallon pail of water and hook it up to the feed line off the pump to motor. I run a y fitting off the hose and one goes in bucket and the other connects to the water out put line from pump. My though to back feed the pump, it forces water between wear ring and impeller but does nothing for packing lube & cooling...so keep the run time short.....This is if you have a 3 point mount...4 point mount unhook the drive shaft.....During the winter time I use the bilge pump in bucket to circulate RV antifreeze.....

11. The following user Likes GA JET SR's post:

Quote Originally Posted by GA JET SR View Post
    Run an adjustable pressure regulator set around 15 psi connected to hose or get an old bilge pump, put it in a 5 gallon pail of water and hook it up to the feed line off the pump to motor. I run a y fitting off the hose and one goes in bucket and the other connects to the water out put line from pump. My though to back feed the pump, it forces water between wear ring and impeller but does nothing for packing lube & cooling...so keep the run time short.....This is if you have a 3 point mount...4 point mount unhook the drive shaft.....During the winter time I use the bilge pump in bucket to circulate RV antifreeze.....
    Thanks for the advice... funny, wish I was wrenching and riding my boat this 2nd weekend owning but had family camping plans....as I sit in my travel trailer surfing boat stuffs...

Mine has a hose feed teed into a water line feeding system... will definitely look to feed the pump and pump inlet...

13. The following user Likes HydroHaulic's post:

Thread Information