DSI Top
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: My 78 Sonic 496 stroker build project!

Re: My 78 Sonic 496 stroker build project!

I LOVE the Predator carbs for ease of tuning, variable venturi, and running a little fatter, for safety of the motor! Lean spots suck, and can kilL a motor..... I found out the hard way! Planning on overy the transom stainless headers , possibly dry, depending on cam choice.....
    Looking for the right hydraulic roller cam kit, for my set up. Also full roller rockers, stock ratio.... be humane to your valve train! LOL!
    I know there are ALOT of very experienced engine builders, with ALOT more knowledge than, I, please feel free to offer input and sugestions! Good or bad, I take all info to heart, research, and go from there! I've put together many engines over my 47 years, mostly mud bogger in FL, but jet boats are another beast, and I'd rather learn from the experts now, before I waset ALOT of money!!!!!

OK! Now I can get some numbers out of these heads! Just got my "cc kit" from Jegs! Hopefully I can determine chamber, intake and exhaust volumes! May not know flow numbers, but at least knowing volumes helps alot!
    If anyone has any sugestions, please feel free to comment, pm, or even text me at 864-305-6179. Thanks!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160530_201129.jpg  

3. The following 2 users Like fbpd227's post:

OK, now I got to get to work!!!!
    My polishing kit arrived today, so time to stop posting, and get working!!!!
    I'll post new pix as I make progress!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160531_193037.jpg   20160531_193013.jpg  

Damn Son, you are not screwing around! LOL. On the valve springs, measure the as installed height. easier to pull one spring, and replace it with a light duty spring. Any machine shop will have a spring tester, the closed spring rate, will be what the tester reads, when compressed to installed height. the max open pressure will be just before coil bind on the tester, that will tell you max lift and open pressure. Nice collection of pieces. Balancing is one of the most important pieces, of building a long lived, performance engine.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

6. The following user Likes 78_Tahiti's post:

Thanks, 78 Tahiti!
    When you say measure the present installed height..... I don't have a valve spring adjust able measurer.... can I just measure with a slide caliper, and still read acurate?

nice looking!! love the red

9. The following user Likes HydroHaulic's post:

Quote Originally Posted by fbpd227 View Post
    OK! Now I can get some numbers out of these heads! Just got my "cc kit" from Jegs! Hopefully I can determine chamber, intake and exhaust volumes! May not know flow numbers, but at least knowing volumes helps alot!
    If anyone has any sugestions, please feel free to comment, pm, or even text me at 864-305-6179. Thanks!!!
    Out of curiosity ...what cc's are the runners on those heads. My motor sooooo needs bigger heads.

Not sure, yet. Hopefully will get them cc'd this weekend.
    Once I get numbers, I'll post what I find!

Quote Originally Posted by HydroHaulic View Post
    nice looking!! love the red
    Thanks! A little torn on the white "racing stripes", but they're growing on me some. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by fbpd227 View Post
    Thanks! A little torn on the white "racing stripes", but they're growing on me some. Lol
    love the white racing strips...character and breaks up all the red! sweet

14. The following user Likes HydroHaulic's post:

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information