DSI Top

Thread: Leak 1968 Buehler Turbocraft "Thunderball"

Leak 1968 Buehler Turbocraft "Thunderball"

So after a few times putting the boat in the water I have gotten water in the bilge. There is about 5 gallons or so but shouldnt be that much. So I did another leak test in the driveway and really filled the inside bilge up to cover all the components in the back like the raw water inlet, the jet suction inlet base where all the boats come up through the floor hoses and so on and even tested the exhaust tubes to see if I had any seeping. I let it sit for a while looking for drips from any through hull bolts or fittings and all great except at the back bottom of the jet output that goes through the transom. I have a good consistent drip or several drips on the bottom. So I found my leak that is getting into the boat I believe. So no I'm going to take some silicon and put a bead around the back of the unit and see if that keeps the water out.

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Re: Leak 1968 Buehler Turbocraft "Thunderball"

Silicone is your friend! In my tool kit under my back seat is a 100 piece socket set, timing light, voltage meter, a ground down 3/8 end wrench, a couple extra fuel filters, grease gun and extra grease, SILICONE, carb spray and burn cream. If there was only 5 gallons after couple outings you sir probably have one of the driest bilges ever to see water no mater what type of boat!
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

3. The following 2 users Like "THE ADVOCATE"'s post:

Well that is only after about an hour out on the water so I have a leak that needs fixing and actually went out at lunch and sealed it up where I believe its leaking. Should be good and yes I agree, I have a took box on board with the main tools that can fix this old boat if something goes wrong. 1/2, 9/16, sockets of all sizes crescent wrench, screw drivers of different sizes, duct tape and zip ties! This should do a quick fix on a hose, or most engine nuts and screws.

5. The following user Likes Roller150's post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roller150 View Post
    Well that is only after about an hour out on the water so I have a leak that needs fixing and actually went out at lunch and sealed it up where I believe its leaking. Should be good and yes I agree, I have a took box on board with the main tools that can fix this old boat if something goes wrong. 1/2, 9/16, sockets of all sizes crescent wrench, screw drivers of different sizes, duct tape and zip ties! This should do a quick fix on a hose, or most engine nuts and screws.
    3M Marine 5200 sealant/ adhesive works well too....but be warned it is very hard to remove once it dries!

7. The following user Likes GA JET SR's post:

One thing I will add to everyone's list, that I carry, and have had save my weekend, is "Self Fusing Tape", It only sticks to itself, you stretch it a little, and wrap it around a few laps, and Boom, Fixed. I have wrapped, leaking wet exhaust hose, leaking fuel hoses, I even stuffed it in a vent hole in a jet drive, that lost the water seal, and got the boat back to the trailer.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

That sounds like an important product to have on board the boat! Any hardware store have this?

Quote Originally Posted by Roller150 View Post
    That sounds like an important product to have on board the boat! Any hardware store have this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Gardner-HTP-10.../dp/B00004WLKT
    FIVE HUNDRED AND FORTY FIVE CUBIC INCHES BABY
    I
    t's a budget build, the grocery budget.

It's called rescue tape and most hardware stores sell it. I know Ace has it for sure. I've used it to repair a torn bellows on the the house boat. That was a huge tear and the tape held out water for over a week till a replacement arrived.

12. The following user Likes wardjr's post:

Update on the leak, its fixed! I ran silicon around the back of jet output and that was where I was getting water in. Was on the lake yesterday and NO LEAKS!! YES

14. The following 3 users Like Roller150's post:

Thread Information