DSI Top
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 1977 Spectra 18'

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Re: 1977 Spectra 18'

AHHH. Questions to answers. I know the boat is new to you, but why the remote filter? That's not stock. How many QT. oil pan is that? That's a front sump pan, if its been replaced with a truck pan and isn't baffled.....yikes.
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

The pan isnt baffled it has a anti-slosh plate but thats it. BUT the engine cradle doesn't look like it will currently accept a larger pan, although I am going to modify it to work with a "hardin marine" 460 pan (they look to have the best reviews over milodon) As far as the remote filter it appears to have been on the boat for quite some time but id like to go back to block mount oil filters. BUT I need to look again at my filter to exhaust log clearance when reassembling.

My machinist who has done and owned quite a few jetboats thinks my pan sloshed uncovered the pickup and sucked air causing the first rod to fail. Only reason I didnt loose pressure altogether is because the rod nearly beat the oil holes on the crank closed.

Block is fine, but need new pistons, new rods, new crank. Plan to have it back together in about a month, machine shop is a bit backed up right now.

Its going to be a very mild built as this is just going to be a family cruiser/tube puller. Any thoughts on Eagles cast steel crank in this application? This is my current rundown on parts im planning

Crank - Eagle Cast Steel stock stroke
    Rods - Rebuilt football rods
    Cam - Summit 3501 (suggested by performanceboats.com) But looking into rollers as advised by my machinist
    Pistons - Speedpro Powerforged bore to be determined

I guess its a good think I like working on things. 70 chevelle in the next bay is apart at the moment with a bent valve after a proform rocker snapped the tip off.
    Last edited by Cosworth; 03-23-2016 at 04:21 AM.

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

I have a 10qt Hardin. Three or four point(front and back) engine mounts are easy to find used or new. Then the center brace can just go away or just the cross bar be cut out and still use the center mounts.
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

"jetboatperformance" over at performancejetboat.com made me a deal I couldnt refuse on a "armondo jet pan" 10qt so my oil pan problem is solved.

This boat has a 3 point system, and Im just going to cut out the middle of the front cradle and re-weld supports to assist the stringers.

For now im just waiting on the machine shop, fuel tanks, and parts.

5. The following user Likes Cosworth's post:

the Scat or Eagle products should work just fine in your application. The biggest factors are 1] the machine work needs to be done using "Cold Block Marine Specs" 2] You Must Balance the rotating assembly, within 1 gram 3] flat tappet hydraulic lifter setup, work just fine in BBF engines (for years) 4] Marine Cams are not the same as car cams 5] you will see more performance gains from cleaning up the exhaust ports in the heads, and using a quality set of roller rockers then anything else you can do for the same amount of money.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

Picking up all my engine parts this friday so should have the engine/boat back together this weekend.

New fuel tanks showed up yesterday, very happy with the craftsmanship and turn around time. I ordered these a little over a week ago, and the owner was very responsive to all my questions. These were from "speedytanks.com" (atlantic welding)

8. The following 3 users Like Cosworth's post:

nice stuff! looking forward to a video of her running!
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

Me too, still waiting on the machine shop. Lot of power outtages with all the rain we've been getting down here in texas.

Got the tanks mounted, I ended up affixing redwood to the sides of the boat with bolts sticking out and making straps over the tanks and bolting them in. Glassed over the redwood and made wedges for under the tanks to support some of the weight off the bottom of the boat. Really happy with how it all went together.

11. The following 2 users Like Cosworth's post:

Been quite a wait but finally got the block back assembled and installed. Ended up having to sleeve the cylinder where the number 1 rod decided to jump to but all is well. Got to fix my throttle that broke when i sand locked the bail before hitting the lake.
    But engine is in and sounds great

13. The following user Likes Cosworth's post:

15. The following 4 users Like Cosworth's post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information