Southwind Boats 916-600-6938
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobra jet boat

Cobra jet boat

Hello to all. So I'm new to the site, and I'm looking for help with this 1979 cobra jet boat I purchased this week.

I need help or advice with what I should do first. I know the motor us not seized and that the motor is a Oldsmobile 403. And that is about it. lol

I plan to either rebuild the carb or purchase a new one, plus new plugs and wires before I fire it up to see how it runs. So other than that, I could use some help or advice on what I need to do from there.

Re: Cobra jet boat

Depending on how long it has been setting (it looks like a while) I would be curious to know the condition of the block...was it winterized way back when? I see from another post you need stringers and I would imagine a floor.

I would start shopping fiberglass cloth and resin for the winter ahead if you have a warn place to work. Do a search and start watching videos on how to do it and take lots of pic's of the progress.

All that from the Token Weed Whacker owner that didn't have wood to worry about until I bought my 1st squirt boat and I found a whole in the floor.

Karsten

I had a 72 sleekcraft that lived in a field before I got it. It had the 403 and it ran good once I got the wiring hashed out. If you do get it running I would suggest a 750 (or bigger) Holley, had the q-bog on mine for a while but it woke up with the Holley. Here's a video of it, the carb needed adjusted but was a big improvement.
    Last edited by T8er S.; 10-19-2015 at 04:23 PM. Reason: have no fear

Thanks for the video, and the sugestion of replacing my carb with a holley. That is the exact thing my buddy told me to do, so Im going to start looking for a 750 holley. But if I do put in the holley , is there anything I would have to do to the motor, like timing , better spark, bigger fuel pump?

I bought this from the original owner, and for the last 15 years of it life it has been in florida. And it has been out of water for about 8 years, so im not to worried about the block. It was a running boat when it was put in to storage. But for the deal that I got on this boat, with the interior, I could not pass it up. Im also on the look out for fiberglass cloth and resin. Im pumped to get started and will surely take pics when I disassemble for reference, plus pics along the way as im restoring it. IM STOKED :-) thank you for your in put.... Karsten :-)

As you can see im also new to forms LOL .

I just got off the phone with Jeg's about a carb for my 460 Ford. They recommended a Holley or Quick Fuel 600 CFM Marine carb for a stock motor. You might want to check before you put to big a carb on and drown the motor.

I know after putting a Quick Fuel 680 CFM on my 1973 Corvette with a 375 HP 350 you are limited to a max 6.5 PSI or you are bleeding gas right past the jets.

There are some deals on Ebay for fiber glass cloth.

Also I was told to pull the nuts on both sides of the pump and be add 80-90 gear lube.......You might want to do that and try to turn the coupling to make sure that the bearing there are still good.

Trust me, the guys here will get you all fixed up.

Karsten

8. The following user Likes Karsten's post:

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Karsten! Cancel that 600cfm order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fords love fuel and air and in abundance. Worse case scenario I have 3 660's that you can kit and save some money. Anyway back to the local program not sure on 403 Mopar. BUT, these motors don't run like cars. You are looking for max RPM. They never change gears is kinda the deal, thus they need more carb. I don't know how your boat is set up Pop but do you have a preference for mech advance vs vacuum? Send some picks of the motor and pump with exhaust views as well. That's the only way to get a base line opinion right or wrong on what you need. LOL
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

10. The following 3 users Like "THE ADVOCATE"'s post:

Quote Originally Posted by hydropop View Post
    Thanks for the video, and the sugestion of replacing my carb with a holley. That is the exact thing my buddy told me to do, so Im going to start looking for a 750 holley. But if I do put in the holley , is there anything I would have to do to the motor, like timing , better spark, bigger fuel pump?
    You just got to go one thing at a time, that motor was bone stock including the intake.
    Last edited by T8er S.; 10-19-2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: graphite oar

12. The following 2 users Like T8er S.'s post:

Advocate, as far as the advance being mech, or vacuum. I'm not sure, but I will get take some pictures or the motor and get them uploaded. I think what I need to do first, is make sure that the motor starts and runs before I pull it, so I can start the restoration. So look for pictures in the next day or so. :-)

Thank you.

14. The following user Likes hydropop's post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information