Southwind Boats 916-600-6938
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: '73 Tahiti restoration

'73 Tahiti restoration

Spent a little time gutting out the Tahiti this weekend as I prepare it for a winter restoration project. Figured I would document the project here and welcome any comments and/or suggestions/recommendations.

I managed to get her completely stripped of all interior, engine, pump and windshield. I even managed to get the rub rail removed, I haven't decided if I will reuse them or eliminate them altogether. I plan on leaving the carpet in as it is in very nice shape and I am not dealing with any structural rot, the boards that hold the rear seats need to be replaced. I will work around the carpet for those two boards.

I actually got a fair more done than the picture shows.

So the plan with the 455 is tentatively to try and solve the oil drain back issues common with the Olds. This engine runs rather well and since all cylinders have decent compression, I would like to avoid a complete rebuild at this time. I will dig into this part of the project later this winter.
    For now the goal is to get the hull off the trailer and upside down on the garage floor. The hull is full of dings and scratches, mostly from the crappy roller trailer the previous owner had it on. So getting it where I can really work on it will make that process much smoother. The entire hull will be getting fresh gel coat and at this stage I am planning on sticking with the original red, white and blue metal flake that it came with originally. Of course I reserve the right to change my mind at any time.

I am in the process of making my shopping list and ordering parts. I haven't yet gotten a good look into the gas tank so I don't know if I need to remove that yet or not. I would rather leave it in place as it is glassed right into the hull. I know that was a common practice on these boats but I gotta say "REALLY!!!" Tank straps must have seemed too difficult at the time. Either way I will get in there and have a good look around before I get to excited about replacing it. The only downside is that it is only a 20 gallon tank so I may change my mind and look for a larger replacement. Plus I wouldn't mind creating a small storage space up in the bow. The current tank doesn't really allow for that as it is currently positioned.

I already have a replacement bowl coming as the one on there is no good. Not sure what caused this and it has been debated on another post. Doesn't really matter as long as the replacement shows up in good workable condition.

The more I look at what I originally thought must have been freeze damage the more I realize "The Advocate" is probably right. Something else is wrong and the pump is destroying itself. Although at this point I haven't found any smoking gun. I will post my findings as I get into rebuilding the pump.

2. The following 2 users Like wardjr's post:

Re: '73 Tahiti restoration

Got her upside down, now the fun begins.

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	075.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	17376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	082.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	17377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	083.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	17378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	091.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	17379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	093.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	17380 Ok! I can see why the Tahitis take rough water better than me. Is spring seeming very far away? Plan a launch date and see how quick it rushes up on you. :)
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

Spring does seem a long time away. Usually hope to be on the water in the beginning of May. The last hull I redid all the gel coat on was a 34' Glastron Nautaline houseboat. Because of its size it had to be done outside and right side up. That meant pray for early spring in March and go like hell till May. I managed to hit the water by May 15th that year. I am not going to say this one will be easy.... But, you get the idea. It's all a matter of perspective.

6. The following 2 users Like wardjr's post:

What are most of you using to cover the pump bolt holes in the hull.
    This just doesn't look like the best or right way to do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

One of the popular sealers used, is "sea going epoxy" same as you would use to install the pump intake with.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

Like 3M 5200?

Since our boats are siblings I would assume they are very similar, Our fuel cell was also glassed in. Since the entire floor had to come out I removed it. On ours there was no low drain on the cell so it was full of old gas that had turned fairly thick over the years it was abandon. I do plan on adding better side straps to attach it to the floor instead of glassing it in. I also plan on building a divider on each side of the fuel cell so it will become storage for long items. My other intention is to add a fuel fill closer to the side of the boat so I don't have to stand on the bow to fill with fuel.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by MACRacing View Post
    Since our boats are siblings I would assume they are very similar, Our fuel cell was also glassed in. Since the entire floor had to come out I removed it. On ours there was no low drain on the cell so it was full of old gas that had turned fairly thick over the years it was abandon. I do plan on adding better side straps to attach it to the floor instead of glassing it in. I also plan on building a divider on each side of the fuel cell so it will become storage for long items. My other intention is to add a fuel fill closer to the side of the boat so I don't have to stand on the bow to fill with fuel.

Mat
    Cool got any pics?

Here is my restoration thread. I haven't made any progress this summer but plan on restarting soon with the bow and fuel cell this winter.

http://www.vintagejetboats.com/showt...-Tahiti-Torino

Mat

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information