DSI Top
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Aluminum bow tank for 1975 Wriedt Maverick

Wanted: Aluminum bow tank for 1975 Wriedt Maverick

The fiberglass tank in the bow of my boat is giving me fits, even though it hasn't started to leak...yet. Anyone have an aluminum tank that is a copy of the fiberglass bow tank and looking to sell it? I know I can have one made by Imco, but figured I'd put the word out beforehand in case one is available. Who else besides Imco makes tanks? Lightning is no longer making tanks, already checked.

I prefer the bow tank so I don't have to re-plumb the whole boat, add new fillers for gunnel tanks, reconfigure sending units, etc.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Wanted: Aluminum bow tank for 1975 Wriedt Maverick

I have a 13 gallon tank but I am not sure what it fits. I can take a pic of it here as soon as a neighbor comes home. Or if you can take a pic of what you have.

Karsten

I am using a Moeller #30524 Plastic tank from Overton's ($250) until I can afford am Aluminum or Stainless, Triangle design , works fine..

Quote Originally Posted by OH. Wriedt View Post
    I am using a Moeller #30524 Plastic tank from Overton's ($250) until I can afford am Aluminum or Stainless, Triangle design , works fine..
    Thanks for the reply. That is an interesting option that I had not considered. I'm guessing your fiberglass tank gave up the ghost and that's why you went with the Moeller? Did you tank ever actually leak, or were you just fighting the iced tea colored, molasses gas feeding your engine as I have been? Any reason why you'd still prefer an alum or ss tank over this Moeller? How did you attach the Moeller tank to the hull?

How easy or difficult was it to remove the original tank?

I have one out of a cheetah jet I will take a pic and post it Monday I am out of town right now

On Sacramento Craig's list there is one listed in the boat parts section. Search jet boat tank. $75.

Hi Matt, yea the fiberglass tank started leaking at the back, I use a pretty good spin on fuel/ water separator so I really didn't have any running issues, the only reason I want to go stainless or aluminum is to have a bigger tank (would like 30 gallons) but I'm sure it will be $800 - $1,000 to have one made, this plastic tank (19 gallons) works fine, it has "pockets" molded into the front/rear/sides that aluminum clamps set in & screw to the floor. The old tank came out pretty easy, it looked like they just set the tank on wet fiberglass mat in each corner , use a sawzall under each corner in the back & then raise the back of the tank until you break the front fiberglass loose & it should slide right out. If you do get the Moeller plastic tank I think the fuel fill neck is 1-1/2" o.d. so I used an exhaust adapter to fit my 2" flip top gas cap on the deck. Good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by OH. Wriedt View Post
    Hi Matt, yea the fiberglass tank started leaking at the back, I use a pretty good spin on fuel/ water separator so I really didn't have any running issues, the only reason I want to go stainless or aluminum is to have a bigger tank (would like 30 gallons) but I'm sure it will be $800 - $1,000 to have one made, this plastic tank (19 gallons) works fine, it has "pockets" molded into the front/rear/sides that aluminum clamps set in & screw to the floor. The old tank came out pretty easy, it looked like they just set the tank on wet fiberglass mat in each corner , use a sawzall under each corner in the back & then raise the back of the tank until you break the front fiberglass loose & it should slide right out. If you do get the Moeller plastic tank I think the fuel fill neck is 1-1/2" o.d. so I used an exhaust adapter to fit my 2" flip top gas cap on the deck. Good luck..
    Thanks for the reply. Is the spin on fuel/water separator able to strain out liquified fiberglass resin? I think that is the biggest problem I'm fighting currently. Everything the fuel comes up against gets a molasses colored film on it. If you hit it with brake cleaner, carb cleaner it dissolves off. Most recently, the accelerator pump in the Holley just wasn't squirting any more. Took it apart, sprayed with brake cleaner...accelerator pump working again...for a while. My tank is not leaking yet, it is just shedding fiberglass resin. I've read threads online where if that resin gets thick enough in certain places, it can do internal engine damage. Nothing visible(such as fiberglass fibers) is actually clogging up in the fuel system, it appears to be what is dissolving in new gas that is dumped into the tank that is the problem.

Thanks for the pointers on how to get the existing tank out of the hull. I'll probably pull it out and run it to a fab shop to see what it'll cost to replicate in aluminum....that is unless someone has one from a dead Wriedt boat.

Moving this back up, still need a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by mattt View Post
    Moving this back up, still need a tank.

http://www.socaljetboats.com/random-.../bow-gas-tank/
    FIVE HUNDRED AND FORTY FIVE CUBIC INCHES BABY
    I
    t's a budget build, the grocery budget.

11. The following 2 users Like Redeye1620's post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information