Southwind Boats 916-600-6938

Thread: Engine ID

Engine ID

Hello gentlemen...new to your forum but need some help finding out all I can about this engine. Scored me a untouched 1976 Eliminator 18ft jet. My question is...how did this Guardian 460 marine come. Can't find a block # it has the d3 heads on it with a Stealth manifold and 750 dp Holley. I guess what I am trying to ask is what block and does anybody know what pistons would have came in this Guardian engine in 1976 and would this Stealth manifold have been on there sense new. Any info on Guardian Marine would be interesting...thank Ed

Re: Engine ID

The original manifold likely would have been the iron Cobra Jet 4v intake. Very good flow, probably as good or better than the Stealth for a stock/near stock engine. The block ID should be cast into the block, back by the starter?
    '78 Glastron/Carlson CV23 - 429/Berkeley; '64 Ford Falcon 'vert; '04 Saab 95 Aero
    Bradley GTE Electric; '99 Tahoe, 2000 Big Dog Bulldog

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

I went digging through the spare motor pile. I have a complete Guardian motor torn down. Block casting # D9TE-AB heads are D3VE-A2A. Hope that helps!
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

Quote Originally Posted by "THE ADVOCATE" View Post
    I went digging through the spare motor pile. I have a complete Guardian motor torn down. Block casting # D9TE-AB heads are D3VE-A2A. Hope that helps!
    If memory serves correctly (and at my age, it's questionable!), the D9 blocks have the longer cylinders and came with the externally balanced cranks because of the limited area for the crank counterweights. They are good blocks for stroker applications because they give better piston skirt support at the bottom of the stroke. Other than that they are the same as the D1 series earlier blocks with the exception of the very early blocks which had a 10.3 inch deck height as opposed to the next revision models that have a 10.32 inch deck height. Hardin and Guardian were (are) simply companies that repurposed the Ford built passanger car engines for light duty marine use, they don't manufacture the parts themselves. Rob
    Last edited by White Lightning; 09-03-2015 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Man I hate this Tablet, it won't let me do as many things as my dead comp would : (
    Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
    "Alaska Hawaii, Shipping Here Is Terrible!" (AH, $hit Club)

5. The following user Likes White Lightning's post:

Thread Information