Southwind Boats 916-600-6938

Thread: Ignition Switch Replacement Woes

Ignition Switch Replacement Woes

Trying to put in a replacement ignition switch with an ACC so that I can just power the stereo while drifting. I went from an OFF-ON-START with Battery, Ignition, Solenoid, terminals. There are multiple spade connectors on the Battery and Ignition terminals and only one on the Solenoid.

The new switch is ACC-OFF-ON-START. It has an ACC spade terminal which I assumed I could move the spade terminal going to the Red turn on wire for the stereo from the old Ignition terminal to the Accessory terminal. The yellow memory terminal is connected to the batt terminal as it was before. The stereo works as it should in ACC and ON, but for the life of me I cannot get the engine started. The starter turns over, but it just won't light.

First I swapped the old switch back in and of course it starts no problem. I put the new one on and same thing, it won't fire over. It's a marine grade unit I purchased off amazon. maybe its bad? too much load on the switch vs the capability of the old one? I don't have to reset any fuses, just replacing the wires back with the old switch fixes things.

Re: Ignition Switch Replacement Woes

Sounds like your power feed for the stereo may also be the power feed for the coil. I'd use the old ign switch and install a switch direct to the battery (with inline fuse) and stereo. If you're running the stereo off the starting battery, I'd consider a battery monitor that will cut power to the stereo when the battery drops to a certain voltage.
    '78 Glastron/Carlson CV23 - 429/Berkeley; '64 Ford Falcon 'vert; '04 Saab 95 Aero
    Bradley GTE Electric; '99 Tahoe, 2000 Big Dog Bulldog

Personally, I would try (with the new switch connected) placing the switch in the ON position and then spin the starter, at the starter, using a screwdriver or other suitable conductive device. Assuming that it starts and runs, the other thing I would check is, verify that 12V power is present at the IGN terminal when the switch is turned to the START position.

My guess is that one of these two tests will fail, assuming that the correct wires are connected to the correct terminals.

some good suggestions. i have two batteries with a switch to run either or both. tonight i put the old switch back in and put both stereo leads to the battery terminal on the ignition. so basically the power switch on the stereo turns it on or off. This should avoid having the ignition hot when running the stereo. I'll probably just stick a manual push/pull switch on the dash between the batt terminal on the ignition switch and the stereo to control how it turns on so that it just doesn't come on when the battery switch is turned. Don't want to accidentally drain the battery. That is my concern and the ignition being hot while running the stereo. Does that seem like a good plan. I basically plan to run only one battery while the engine is off with the stereo that way I have the other as a backup to get it started.

What engine do you have? The Fords (mostly) use a different solonoid wiring set up than the GM's. If all you are doing is moving the stereo wire, then you have a problem with getting power to the coil when the switch is in crank mode (obviously).The GM's have a dedicated post on the starter mounted solonoid that powers the coil during cranking as do the Ford fender mounted or starter mounted solonoids. Check there while cranking to check for coil power while cranking.
    Rob
    Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
    "Alaska Hawaii, Shipping Here Is Terrible!" (AH, $hit Club)

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
    What engine do you have? The Fords (mostly) use a different solonoid wiring set up than the GM's. If all you are doing is moving the stereo wire, then you have a problem with getting power to the coil when the switch is in crank mode (obviously).The GM's have a dedicated post on the starter mounted solonoid that powers the coil during cranking as do the Ford fender mounted or starter mounted solonoids. Check there while cranking to check for coil power while cranking.
    Rob
    yeah its a ford 460, good to know. i'll have to battle this when i get back 2 weeks from now unfortunately. For now i'm just running it with both wired to the batt and its working fine. only problem is the stereo turns on when i move the battery switch. So i typically turn off the stereo before i go to start the boat so there is less draw on the battery during starting.

Thread Information