Southwind Boats 916-600-6938
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Subfloor Rot :-(

Re: Subfloor Rot :-(

Looks good

that "stitched mat bias weave" is hard to wet out and trapped air is hard to remove . Its also real thirsty for the resin. the thick laminate generates alot of heat and shortens your working time .

I like to use 3/4 mat and wet out one layer at a time . No more than two layers 3/4 mat at once or it will get to hot . Finish it off later with fine cloth after the mat layers have cured and been scuff sanded . if needed

5cc MEKP hardener in 1 quart resin will give you the longest working time .

use a big fat 3" brush to soak up puddles and wring it out in areas that need it .
    76 Marlin Dolphin AMC 401 panther h450
    77 Marlin Dolphin Ford 460 panther g450

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement everyone! Really helps keep the ol motivation up.

Found my paperwork and the material I'm using is knytex 1708. You're right it really sucks up resin but it's a fine line between enough and too much. Still getting the hang of that.

Stupid question: which side goes up? The woven cloth side or the mat side? LOL!! I'm thinking mat side down so the woven cloth gives a nice finish? The mat tends to want to lift and make an uneven surface. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong haha!

Going to try to sand and prep the surface for more glass work today. I think I've figured out how much more cloth I need so will grab that and corresponding materials tomorrow.

Almost forgot, I've been using about 8cc of MEK per 26oz of resin, mainly because I bought too many quart cups and they're not very manageable when totally full... LOL! Thought I was mixing it pretty cold already as the reaction didn't give off much heat. I'll try going colder to give more time between layers. Thanks for that tip :-)
    A jet boat project is like dating a hot chick who doesn't put out.
    Alaska Hawaii, Shipping Here Is Terrible!" (AH, $hit Club)

There is no right side up with that but if sanding will be required then you want mat side out.

4. The following user Likes wardjr's post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chad89GT View Post
    Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement everyone! Really helps keep the ol motivation up.

Found my paperwork and the material I'm using is knytex 1708. You're right it really sucks up resin but it's a fine line between enough and too much. Still getting the hang of that.

Stupid question: which side goes up? The woven cloth side or the mat side? LOL!! I'm thinking mat side down so the woven cloth gives a nice finish? The mat tends to want to lift and make an uneven surface. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong haha!

Going to try to sand and prep the surface for more glass work today. I think I've figured out how much more cloth I need so will grab that and corresponding materials tomorrow.

Almost forgot, I've been using about 8cc of MEK per 26oz of resin, mainly because I bought too many quart cups and they're not very manageable when totally full... LOL! Thought I was mixing it pretty cold already as the reaction didn't give off much heat. I'll try going colder to give more time between layers. Thanks for that tip :-)
    Hi Chad,
    You have the same issues I do, its called Humidity. With the added moisture in the air, you'll be better to try Brendan's recipe than mine. Since I have not worked with the Brand you have you'll have to tinker with it a bit. As for the 1708 stitched Biaxel mat, your good either way as Bob expressed. Chopped strand mat works perfect for tabbing into stringer and corners best. But if you do blow through, always lay small patch of 4 or 6 oz. over the little spot that went through to maintain the integrity of the glass. Your doing an awesome job. Stick with it, your so close you have no idea!!! You can always tint the top Hot coat too in order hind and little imperfections if your concerned, just a thought. I did that to an old woman 68' Hobie Phil Edwards I restored, It came out awesome. Sold it for $5k a signed original. Wish I kept it now.
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

Thread resurrection! Wow has it really been a year and a half??

Through work I met a guy (we'll call him George) who used to build boats professionally. He offered to help on the Tahiti project and in exchange I'd assemble his supercharged 540 BBC. I think I got the better end of the deal! LOL! George took a look at what we'd done and promptly found rot in the transom. So out it came. Along with most of what I'd already done...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6315.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	19850

George fab'd a new transom & stringers and glassed them in.

Name:	IMG_6365.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	19851 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6739.JPG 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	19852

The floor is mostly in too. Just a little work to do under the bow. While he was at it he added mounts for the rear seat and also fab'd up a cool curved seat from extra foam core:

Name:	IMG_6738.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	19853 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6740.JPG 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	19858 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6741.JPG 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	19859

Next step is for me to install the pump so we can locate the motor. Another buddy hooked me up with a SMOKIN deal on a 500+ hp 454 and Berk with Stainless impeller. Those will be going in and the Olds will be hitting Craig's List! I'm not a huge BBC fan but just couldn't swing the extra cash for my buddy's Edelbrock headed 460 right now.

As motivation he took me out on his Cobra Jet headed 429 boat. OMG did that thing SCOOT! I couldn't believe how hard it launched and hit 90+. Even the V-drive guy couldn't believe it. The boat was originally a Panther with the conversion kit to accept a Berk impeller. Here he is blowing a fantastic roost. Everyone on the beach was loving it.

Name:	IMG_7173.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	865.8 KB 
ID:	19856

Hope to have more progress soon!
    Last edited by Chad89GT; 07-11-2018 at 09:34 PM.

7. The following user Likes Chad89GT's post:

Team Dirt Bag Intern NUTTZ
    Super Mod

My goodness, now I know what my sees in those chick flicks. Love at first site, lots of struggle to begin, then a happy ending! (y)
    Heavy Lake Lay Up Family Boat Ready To Race Any Takers

9. The following user Likes "THE ADVOCATE"'s post:

Wrecking my bike a year ago and being out of work for a month didn't help the situation. Just pulled the trigger on the Canton oil pan and associated pieces for the BBC. As a Ford guy it sure is painful to spend money on Chevy parts but at least I was able to put them on our stocking order at work... FREE shipping! Out here in the Pacific that's a huge deal (see signature)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information