Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Subfloor Rot :-(

Angry Subfloor Rot :-(

Opened a can of worms today when I started cutting out a small soft spot in the subfloor of my Tahiti. When I 1st found the spot near the center support rib I was hesitant to go after it. Not sure yet if I'm glad I did or not because ignorance is bliss! LOL!

long story short, looks like the center rib (is that the correct term?) is toast. The rusty nails that held the subfloor to it pulled right out and my screwdriver slid right in 3" deep. The flashlight tells the real tale of just how much is rotten and gone. I even went 2-3' ahead of that area and drilled through the "good" section of the subfloor to check the rib. Once the drill bit broke through the subfloor and sank nearly 3" without resistance. That tells me it's probably soft/rotten all the way up.

So... Knowing that the wood is totally gone and rotted away... But the "good" part of the floor still has firm support... Is the wood in that rib critical?

I know the right way to do it is tip the whole thing apart but damn, that rib goes up under the deck to the bow! Trying to see if there's a way out of this that doesn't require ripping the whole floor up.

for now I have a big fan blowing up in there to dry it out. Yes, it's still moist even after being garaged for months. :(

Dont know why I'm asking / posting these questions when I know the answer... Just hoping I'm wrong and there's an easier way! LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Re: Subfloor Rot :-(

Looks like its time to just rip everything out and put full stringers in if your doing that much work.

The goal here is to get on the water this summer... LOL! IIRC this is a non-structural piece and only supports the sub-floor. The rest of the floor in is solid and in great shape. If I can stabilize this piece I'd be happy with that.

I found this stuff online: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/boatli...04_120_001_009

Anyone ever try it?

My tahiti was about the same. I was afraid the foot throttle screws were gonna pull out of the floor.
    For some reason they only glassed part of the way up my transom(on the inside of the boat)
    The wood in the transom was as bad as the floor. Hopefully your transom is good.

Been there done that. Trying to avoid it is worse than rolling up the sleeves. After researching options, I chose to tear out all but the last few feet of the sub floor under the bow where the wood was still ok. I then drilled a series of 1/2 inch holes down the center support and side ribs for drying. Once most of the moisture is out you can use Smith and company CPES epoxy to treat the old wood. It will take it some time to dry, so be patient. Here is a page (with pics) when I did mine. http://www.vintagejetboats.com/showt...ndollar/page12 I treated all the new marine ply with CPES as well. I think 2 gallons was a couple hundred bucks and was plenty.

A few hundred bucks ought to cover all the materials. Boats love $100 bills, but you will sleep well.
    Oh for cryin out loud... the boat's name is Princess! Are you happy now?

6. The following 2 users Like roblock's post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chad89GT View Post
    The goal here is to get on the water this summer... LOL! IIRC this is a non-structural piece and only supports the sub-floor. The rest of the floor in is solid and in great shape. If I can stabilize this piece I'd be happy with that.

I found this stuff online: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/boatli...04_120_001_009

Anyone ever try it?
    Aw, 'cmon Chad.....you know better than that! Lol
    At that price I suspect that you could do your floor several times over.....If 'ya start looking for short cuts.....well, you know the out come lol.
    Rob
    Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
    "Alaska Hawaii, Shipping Here Is Terrible!" (AH, $hit Club)

The rest of the floor is surprisingly solid. Can stand on 1 foot and "bounce" with no noticeable flex. When I removed the throttle pedal the holes looked good so that's a plus!

Rot seems to be limited to this rib only. In looking at it more, I suspect someone changed the floor and in doing so broke the fiberglass "seal" around the 2x4. There are old, unfilled nail holes and a place it looks like a saw cut part way through the glass. Just enough to let water in and rot over time :-/

I talked to an older guy at West Marine who knew exactly what epoxy I was looking for and said that's exactly what it's for. I'm gonna try a small section and see how it goes. I'm not real hopeful but want to exhaust all options before tackling the worst case scenario. Honestly, my main concerns with ripping the sub-floor out are working under the limited space of the bow, and not accidentally sawing through the hull with my circular saw! LOL! Will keep everyone updated.

You might check out the products here: http://rotdoctor.com/
    I ordered the CPES and the layup resin to repair a small soft spot in the floor of my motorhome. IF it works as claimed it'll sure save me some time cutting out a piece of the floor in an area that sees little traffic.
    '78 Glastron/Carlson CV23 - 429/Berkeley; '64 Ford Falcon 'vert; '04 Saab 95 Aero
    Bradley GTE Electric; '99 Tahoe, 2000 Big Dog Bulldog

Quote Originally Posted by Chad89GT View Post
    The rest of the floor is surprisingly solid. Can stand on 1 foot and "bounce" with no noticeable flex. When I removed the throttle pedal the holes looked good so that's a plus!

Rot seems to be limited to this rib only. In looking at it more, I suspect someone changed the floor and in doing so broke the fiberglass "seal" around the 2x4. There are old, unfilled nail holes and a place it looks like a saw cut part way through the glass. Just enough to let water in and rot over time :-/

I talked to an older guy at West Marine who knew exactly what epoxy I was looking for and said that's exactly what it's for. I'm gonna try a small section and see how it goes. I'm not real hopeful but want to exhaust all options before tackling the worst case scenario. Honestly, my main concerns with ripping the sub-floor out are working under the limited space of the bow, and not accidentally sawing through the hull with my circular saw! LOL! Will keep everyone updated.
    Chad, buddy!! What happened with the floors? Haven't seen you in the forums lately, any progress on the boat lately?
    AG6= Amazing Grace VI *
    1980 BIESEMEYER 27' VIKING

Quote Originally Posted by AG6 View Post
    Chad, buddy!! What happened with the floors? Haven't seen you in the forums lately, any progress on the boat lately?
    Hey thanks for the interest :)

Time got away from me. Other things in life temporarily got in the way but now I'm back on track! A buddy and I went crazy one day and we pulled the entire floor. I'm not going to "band-aid" this thing. It's going to get done right and be better than new when done. Pics and more info in a few...

12. The following 2 users Like Chad89GT's post:

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information