Southwind Boats 916-600-6938
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to VJB and New Project Nordic

Re: New to VJB and New Project Nordic

Quote Originally Posted by "THE ADVOCATE" View Post
    Sorry Don, lets see that old girl hittin the juice. Can't wait! You are definitely going to want a big block, they have the displacement to provide the torque jet boats want.
    Looks like a fun project! Be warned it will be a money sucker! Projects have a nasty way of making money evaporate from your wallet.......Been there and done that! Got a Baja bowrider jet in my driveway. Started out like yours, afraid to tell you how much I got in it......still not done, burned myself out on all the glass, stringer, floor, transom work, fabing motor mount rail kits, etc.....

Make a list of what you will need and write down the cost of each item, you will be surprised. By looking at your boat, as starters you will need a pump rebuild (maybe), do it yourself, 500 for OH kit, 300 for specialized tools, 250 for cable set, shift, steering, throttle. 700+ for place diverter, 1000 for interior, Off your local craigslist I notice someone selling exhaust manifolds, bell housing and engine mounts for 500 dollars, offer them 300. It was/is for a Ford 460. If you get it for 400, good deal.....I assume your stringers, floor transom are ok. Still need motor and motor work too......Forgot to mention, engine coupler and drive shaft/u joint assembly, paint, list goes on and on......Still fun to do but you cannot make money fixing these boats up and selling them for profit!!!!!

It's been said numerous times on this forum, cheaper to by a nice turnkey running boat then fixing one up.....

This project was never going to be a money maker. I am in a fortunate situation with having great industry connections on fiberglass and interior work. I plan on assembling the engine myself after I figure out a long block. I have a full drivetrain setup minus the GM engine, and have already managed to rebuild the pump. I am likely going to do a 2 place interior, I still haven't decided between two paint schemes I was thinking about but either way Its just time and materials. Its looking like a built 454 with a B&M Blower is the easiest way to obtain my goals with this hull.

I am looking forward to this project, I have wanted to build one of these since I was a little kid.

Quote Originally Posted by GA JET SR View Post
    Looks like a fun project! Be warned it will be a money sucker! Projects have a nasty way of making money evaporate from your wallet.......Been there and done that! Got a Baja bowrider jet in my driveway. Started out like yours, afraid to tell you how much I got in it......still not done, burned myself out on all the glass, stringer, floor, transom work, fabing motor mount rail kits, etc.....

Make a list of what you will need and write down the cost of each item, you will be surprised. By looking at your boat, as starters you will need a pump rebuild (maybe), do it yourself, 500 for OH kit, 300 for specialized tools, 250 for cable set, shift, steering, throttle. 700+ for place diverter, 1000 for interior, Off your local craigslist I notice someone selling exhaust manifolds, bell housing and engine mounts for 500 dollars, offer them 300. It was/is for a Ford 460. If you get it for 400, good deal.....I assume your stringers, floor transom are ok. Still need motor and motor work too......Forgot to mention, engine coupler and drive shaft/u joint assembly, paint, list goes on and on......Still fun to do but you cannot make money fixing these boats up and selling them for profit!!!!!

It's been said numerous times on this forum, cheaper to by a nice turnkey running boat then fixing one up.....

3. The following user Likes Don's post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    This project was never going to be a money maker. I am in a fortunate situation with having great industry connections on fiberglass and interior work. I plan on assembling the engine myself after I figure out a long block. I have a full drivetrain setup minus the GM engine, and have already managed to rebuild the pump. I am likely going to do a 2 place interior, I still haven't decided between two paint schemes I was thinking about but either way Its just time and materials. Its looking like a built 454 with a B&M Blower is the easiest way to obtain my goals with this hull.

I am looking forward to this project, I have wanted to build one of these since I was a little kid.
    Sounds like you are headed in the right direction and have given it a lot of thought! When you get her up and running I am sure you will enjoy it! It will mean even more to you because of all your "blood sweat and tears" invested in the rebuild......

So 3 years of distractions, and finally got this project boat back on track. In the meantime, had a daughter and purchased another boat that was complete but couldn't let this one die. Stingers and transom were redone this winter, boat is in my home made paint booth now, going to go a very traditional theme, white with 1970s chevy orange trim, Ive been working part time down at a fiberglass and paint repair center picking up skills and learning from professionals, the owner of the shop is a good friend and has shown me the ropes on fixing up these old hulls. And sitting on an engine stand is a freshly built Marine 454, .30 over with a moderate cam and headwork making a modest 530hp on 91 oct built by All In Racing Engines and dialed in by Bischoff Engine Services.

6. The following 3 users Like Don's post:

Welcome to the madness, we all love. Don. Look forward to seeing your project come to life.
    It's Impossible to Lose Your Footing, If Your On Your Knees"

8. The following user Likes 78_Tahiti's post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information